VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, 2011 Jetta Mk6 TDI.

When I turn my lights on, the headlight warning lamp comes on in the dash. Problem is, the lights all seem to work. I got out of the car and inspected them high and low beam, including fog lights. All seems well. Turn signals work front and back. Markers on back good. Only thing I couldn't check was brakes without help.

Any idea what this could be about?

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
US specs ones would tell you which light on the MFD...

However that is also stored and can be read by VCDS. Otherwise it will be hard to know which bulb has issues (lot of times it catches bulbs prior to failure (filament cracked?) by checking latency and resistance for sure).

·
Registered
15 Posts
My mechanic says that when turning the egnition/starting the car, some bulbs can produce a MIL because the bulbs need more electricity/power to be switched on (they apparently all switch on at the same time, and there isn't enough power to start everyone at the same time (someting like that) ). Anyway, wasn't any problem, he told me..

Please correct me if I'm wrong..

Sorry for the bad writing, english isn't my native tongue:)

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Old post I know but I've had the same problem on a 2011 Golf. There are tiny bulbs next to the head light. Turns out when those go out the dash light turns on.
Like every other bulb?

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
My mechanic says that when turning the egnition/starting the car, some bulbs can produce a MIL because the bulbs need more electricity/power to be switched on (they apparently all switch on at the same time, and there isn't enough power to start everyone at the same time (someting like that) ). Anyway, wasn't any problem, he told me..

Please correct me if I'm wrong..

Sorry for the bad writing, english isn't my native tongue:)
Correction: All major bulbs get tested prior (pulse test) to being turned on. And get failed (bulb out light) if:

Bulb to socket corrosion.
LED replacements.
Broken filament.
Burnt out bulb.
Damaged wiring.

Even then, some bulbs still illuminate.

:deadhorse

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Flip the high beam switch on and off a few times. Turn off headlight switch. Turn car off. Remove key. Reinsert key and star car after that.

Happens on and off in both my 2008 .:R32 and the TDI Golf. The above always fixes it. VCDS shows no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have any LED bulbs in you will get the error as well. I have changed out almost all my bulbs with LED's so i have to do bulb checks the old fashioned way because i always get the error. 🤣

1 - 13 of 13 Posts