VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no low beam head lights. I replaced one bulb with no success. The small bulbs in the head lights do come on but not the low beam main bulbs. Also no Day time running lights. Could this be a relay Issue? Thanks in advance. The car is a 2001 vw golf.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I think it could be a relay issue but don't know where it is on your car but also a good chance it could be the actual high beam/low beam switch. If you have a fuse box in the car you could try switching the lights on and off and listening for a ticking noise then if you hear it just put your fingers on each relay you find until you feel it ticking.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Fuse 20 and 21?

You have high beams right?

The DRL run off relay 173, if you remove the relay and test the pins you'd know if it were defective. (no clicking) I don't know if that would also explain no low beams though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re headlights

I do have highbeams The outer bulbs do not light up. I may replace the 173 relay. I checked fuses 21 and 22. they are good. The real small lights in the headlight assembly do light up as well as the side marker lights with low beams on but the main bulbs do not. Someone may have tried to disable the DRL and messed something up.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Is this a new car to you? Normally when someone disables the DRL they tape over one of the headlight switch pin or bend it. See the FAQ for Euroswitch for how to remove the headlight switch.

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
So why is this a VCDS problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Headlights

I pulled the 173 relay, seemed ok to me. But who knows. I ordered a spare. I will try and borrow a relay mean while to see if I'm heading in the right direction. When I bought the car a couple of weeks ago, I had to replace the 109 relay. I worked thru most of my VCDS issues and I am no longer in limp mode. I'm making progress just taking me a while. I may pull the switch just to have a look.
Thanks Brad

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
Thats the first time VCDS has been mensioned.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No Low beams- but did have daytime driving lights & High Beams-

No Low beams- but did have daytime driving lights & High Beams-

I checked/ tried everything listed in this thread including other things I'd read, like spraying some contact cleaner in the turnsignal switch and exercising it but no luck.
I went to a junkyard and got another headlight switch (in dash) and another turnsignal & Hi/Low multifunction switch.(behind steering wheel) Because the dash switch was SUPER EASY to change I tried it first and IT WORKED! :D (All lights now work properly)
Wondering if it was really just a loose/ bad connection, I swapped my old Headlight switch back into the car and again had No low beams. Re-installed junkyard switch and all lights work again.
In my case the dash mounted headlight switch was bad, but others report the Hi/Low multifunction switch was bad.

Great Link showing Cruise/Turn signal/Headlight dimmer switch replacement:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151557

Video showing how to remove the dash mounted headlight switch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v-RKI5X5Zw

1 - 11 of 11 Posts