VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 3m headlight polishing kit and thought I would review it. In the process I totally overhauled the headlight polishing article.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/headlight_polishing.htm

The 3M headlight polishing kit did turn the cloudy and foggy lens to clear but I found that it had too many 500 discs and not enough lighter disks. The lower number grit is rougher. There were a lot of 500 grit, a few 800 grit, only 1 3000, and enough polish for 1 car's headlights+taillights/sidemarkers.

If I were to put together my own kit it would include 3 500 grit, 4 800 grit, 2 3000 grit, and enough polish for a at least 2 cars. The 3M kit is oddly proportioned but it's a good value since I bought it off ebay instead of paying MSRP. A kit that doesn't use power tools will work but it'll just take a heck of a lot longer and with a lot more effort.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A DIY kit will cost more but I already had all the supplies. I prefer the powerball mini over the 3m pad for the reasons stated in the writeup.

D

·
0 Posts
I saw it on ebay's daily deals for $14 after shipping. Now it's $20 after shipping :(

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the lens were too hard it would crack. Glass can't be easily and cheaply made into the aerodynamic and stylish shapes that modern headlights require. And glass does pit, it just pits much slower. My 1990 car with glass lenses and projector lights also has tiny pits in the glass and it can't be easily polished out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
2nd on chitty's tips - The Meguiar's kit is worthless though - it's just polish, a pad, and a towel. It comes with the polish recommended in the writeup but you need to do some light sanding to restore headlights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts