VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I plan to put an order for 2012 Golf TDI with the tech package. Being disappointed by the lack of live traffic information in the RNS-315, I am considering one of the two options:
- downgrade to RCD-510 and use iPhone as the nav unit, or
- purchase an aftermarket in-dash stereo with live traffic navigation.

Are there any watch-outs when buying and installing an RCD-510 in place of RNS-315? Also, would you have any recommendations on an aesthetic aftermarket stereo with live traffic navigation, iPod and bluetooth integration?

·
Registered
104 Posts
You could install the RCD-510 easily, but you'd need to recode a few things wit vcds more than likely. I'm not sure how the compass on the cluster would work though. I know when the car comes with the RCD-510 it's connected to the antenna on the roof, but when you swap in an RNS-510 you have to disconnect it. I don't know if the downgrade would cause any compass issues.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The compass on the cluster will not work since cars that came w/nav don't have the compass module behind the headliner.

There are no problems, it should be plug-play. On my 2006 Jetta that came w/nav, I used the RCD-510 for a while and the nav screen just went away. When I switched back to a nav system the nav screen came back, no coding required. I don't know if it's any different on your 2012 (please fill out your profile and location, go to user control panel on the upper left blue tab) but it shouldn't be. If you find out, please post a follow up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The compass on the cluster will not work since cars that came w/nav don't have the compass module behind the headliner.

There are no problems, it should be plug-play. On my 2006 Jetta that came w/nav, I used the RCD-510 for a while and the nav screen just went away. When I switched back to a nav system the nav screen came back, no coding required. I don't know if it's any different on your 2012 (please fill out your profile and location, go to user control panel on the upper left blue tab) but it shouldn't be. If you find out, please post a follow up.
More of a general question, since I have an '11 Golf with the 300 series navigation: It appears I get a compass in my trip computer screen that works and I have navi. Is the compass limitation something new, does this apply to 510's only, or am I just not understanding something here.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
it's been like that since mk5. If you have factory nav you don't have a separate compass module because the nav provides that info. That's why if you add the nav you have to unplug the compass module - otherwise the car gets 2 signals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts