VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
The timing belt on my ALH stripped, and I am in the process of removing the head in order to replace it. I suspect things got out of time and I have valve damage.
I've read the procedures here and in the Bentley manual, and they both say to put the engine at TDC. I completely understand for an intact engine. But, if things are out of time already, is this necessary to do before reinstallation? Am I risking more damage by barring an out of time engine over? Any advice is appreciated.
Karl

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
It shouldn't matter for taking it apart, you'll have to be careful puting it together so you don't do damage with having the pistons and valves out of place then they end up getting damaged when tightening down. I would set the pistons all half way down the bores when the head was off then line it all up once it's all back together, I might get corrected on this but that's how I'd do it.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
You've already caused damage no need to go to TDC until you put the head back on - actually you should leave it off TDC, install the head, then put it to TDC very carefully. follow the procedure in FAQ
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/cylinder-head-removal-ALH-TDI-engine.htm

I just got mine running, its a big job. The head needs to be rebuilt. Contact Franko6, he does great work, he did mine.

Jon

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
No, not really. It's so that you know where the engine should be. You can even turn it a little off so that none of the pistons are at the top. TDC has #1 at the top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts