VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 jetta TDI with a two hole head gasket just shaved .008 thousands off a head should I use a two hole or three any info would help thanks.....

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Shaving the head shouldn't make any difference in piston protrusion. Shaving the deck would. I would first measure just in case, or go with another 2 hole.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies
I have a 2002 jetta TDI.
It would be a good idea if you added that to your car spec rather than Car: 2002 it saves users asking later on?

Reactions: Cole Burghy

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Didn't you know that everyone with a tdi in the states has a jetta unless otherwise stated Keith?:D

welcometomyturbodies tdiguy27

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Shaving the head shouldn't make any difference in piston protrusion. Shaving the deck would. I would first measure just in case, or go with another 2 hole.
Now you have me confused... Sure, the protrusion of the pistons out of the block will be the same, but since the mating surface of the head has been "shaved" isn't there now a chance that the clearance for the valves may be insufficient? (I would think the reference tables for cyl. head thickness versus piston protrusion are based on an "un-shaved" cylinder head...)

Yuri

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, I should have been more clear, shaving the head will change clearance on the valves and put them closer to the pistons. But as long as it's within specs it can be done. I don't know the details but if it's within specs you don't change head gasket thickness. If it's out of spec I believe the valve seats can be machined and often are during a head rebuild. I think the manual says head service isn't possible but obviously this is done all the time.

Also, if the head is warped, check the camshaft bore alignment too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello- I have a 2001 Jetta that I want to put a rebuilt longblock into. Do I need to re-torque the head bolts after break in? Anyone know the ft./lbs specs for that? Any advice on where to buy the best timing belt kit for it?
Thank you!
John

·
Registered
80 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts