VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, had trouble lately with losing coolant, car only overheated for the first time yesterday when temp gauge went past 90' and engine lights came on saying stop check coolant, I got the AA breakdown out today to check car he done a presure test but found no leaks, he checked coolant as it was a brown colour and said he thinks it's the head gasket,but after more tests like letting engine run for a good half hour says everything seemed fine, the heaters were heating up inside ok, he also done a test to see if there was any exhaust gases in the coolant but all was fine, any ideas

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If it passed a pressure test it means there are no low pressure leaks. If there are no exhaust gases in teh coolant it means the EGR cooler is not leaking.

IMHO, you're leaking somewhere or burning it, it can only disappear those 2 ways....unless coolant elves are stealing it at night.

The brown coolant could be a few things. The most common is that someone used green generic coolant in it. VWs should only use pink-purple G12 coolant. If mixed it will sludge. A coolant flush would be required if the case. Since you say that you are losing coolant, I'm thinking someone (not pointing any fingers :)) added some generic coolant to make up for the lost fluid.

To check for leaks look for white or pink stains around the hoses. There are hoses in the back of the engine as well.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks chittychittybangbang,your rite I put green coolant in my mistake lol, do you think that could be the problem putting the wrong coolant in?? Could that make car lose coolant?? Thanks for your time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts