VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took on the project of replacing my head gasket, timing belt, and water pump.
I had the head shaved down 3 thousands of an inch.
Everything went back together very smooth except within fifty miles my oil light came on and I noticed most of my oil was in my coolant.

I have two thoughts on what the problem may be. .

1. There was oil in the bolt holes that I didn't remove and maybe the head formed a hydraulic crack when I torqued the bolts back down.

2. There are a few parts from the gasket kit that were left at the end and I do not know where they go. Could these parts be the problem and where do they go in terms of where the gasket/engine/head come together?

Please let me know if anyone has done a gasket and knows where the parts circled in blue go, as well as the ones circled in red.

Thanks,
Jashull

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Valve seals, but I think something's gone wrong with head gasket job unless there's another way for the oil to get into the coolant. I think the red ones are just various o rings for the vacuum pump etc.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I am afraid of as well. I am not sure what could of gone wrong, I followed the sequence and everything. I am guessing that maybe the oil caused a hydraulic crack, I read this is a possible occurance.
Darn.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
What's the pressure like? Do you think the coolant system is over pressured? I don't know if the vag engines are the same but on other diesels I've seen there's an oil cooler which can cause the oil and coolant to mix.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I used a new head gasket, and bolts. I am going to have it pressure tested this week. I have heard that the oil cooler could be a possibility as well, although it ran fine before I did the head gasket without mixing oil/coolant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am assuming the Uh-Oh means it has strictly something to do with the head. Here's my thoughts... I didn't clean the engine surface super good, but it didn't look that bad.

Also there was oil in the bolt holes and I have heard this could distort the torque readings and in turn cause leaks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hydrolock

Lots of standing fluid in the bolt holes could cause hydrolock. Hope for the best!
What exactly is hydrolock? My engine was running fine when I parked it, are you saying that standing fluid, like fluid left in my engine could seize it?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
If there's oil or coolant in the holes for the bolts then it can't compress when you tighten the head bolts so the torque wrench will click because it has reached a certain pressure but the bolts wont be holding the head down properly and instead the bolts wil be trying to compress the liquid.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
What exactly is hydrolock? My engine was running fine when I parked it, are you saying that standing fluid, like fluid left in my engine could seize it?
There's a note in the ALH head writeup to clear out liquid. Liquids like water and oil are relatively incompressible. If you tighten down bolts into a dead end or have standing water in the combustion chamber while it's running, the pressure can't go anywhere and it bends rods or cracks aluminum heads.

I had a brand new oil cooler fail on me, was very angry since it ruined fresh oil and fresh coolant. Have you pressure tested it?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Hi,
you wrote "I had the head shaved down 3 thousands of an inch." Why? The tolerance is 4/1000" (0.1 mm).
Regards
Audi1Z

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,
you wrote "I had the head shaved down 3 thousands of an inch." Why? The tolerance is 4/1000" (0.1 mm).
Regards
Audi1Z
I brought it to an engine shop that had a Ford flat head V8 rippin on a dyno and they were working on a Bugatti engine, when they said 3 thousands I figured they knew what they were talking about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am redoing the gasket. I have come to the conclusion, based upon experience of others, the oil in the bolt holes is the culprate. Either the torque reading was off or I cracked the block. I ordered another head gasket set and bolts, I am going to do some surgery this weekend and figure out what the verdict is.

I sure hope VW built a rugged engine block! Ill get back to y'all with the outcome.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Go for it, just be sure to make sure all the surfaces are nice and clean and as you've figured, the bolt holes are empty of fluids, good luck with it and I hope it all goes to plan this time. Check, recheck and check again then fit it.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts