VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ouch, sorry if you bought a HD-dvd. At least you can still use it for regular definition DVDs.

Toshiba Corp (6502.T) is planning to give up on its HD DVD format for high-definition video, conceding defeat to the competing Blu-Ray technology backed by Sony Corp (6758.T), a company source said on Saturday.

Japanese public broadcaster NHK had earlier reported that Toshiba would suffer losses in the tens of billions of yen (hundreds of millions of dollars) as it scrapped production of HD DVD players and recorders and took other steps to exit the business.

The company source told Reuters that Toshiba was in the final stages of planning to exit the HD DVD business and that an official decision would be made soon.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
It figures. Xbox is on it's way down too. Some people have had their xbox replaced 3 times due to the "blinking red light". Now they won't be able to use it as a movie player either.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I suppose that they can still print HDDVD games for the xbox 360 but the failure rate has been pretty high. If it wasn't for guitar hero I would trash the thing.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
That's too bad. Both formats were pretty good. There are a lot of good xbox 360 game out there but I'm more of a Wii user. The graphics aren't as good but the gameplay is better.

D

·
0 Posts
WTH, it's not like regular definition DVDs are crap! How many more extra features that you don't watch are going to be on the high-def DVD's?

The new format war isn't about bringing better products to the consumer, it's about getting BILLIONS in liscensing fees for the format. The guys who have the rights to the DVD format made bank off that, now they want the next big pie. I don't care either way, it's not about bring value to the consumer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts