VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the last post about the glow plugs, but when are they active and when are they not active? The car has been starting fine but I think it is harder to start.

The battery is fine. It just seems to take a little more cranking before it fires up.

D

·
0 Posts
Could be a fueling issue, could be a timing issue. Below 40F the glow plugs are used. If your timing is retarded then it wil be harder to start. More advanced timing within normal limits will make it easier to start.

But if those are fine the engine should start right away. If the cranking is slower than it could be battery, did you change oil weight?

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I would like to get a vag com to check the timing but it's kind of expensive and I know the cheap ebay ones aren't the official ones. Can you use those to do basic things?

J

·
0 Posts
The cheap ones can't use the full version of the vag com software. The ones from ross tech are only about $250, the cheap ones can't even use the latest version of the software if you wanted to.

The ebay ones can still check timing and adjust IQ but I still prefer the ross tech ones.

D

·
0 Posts
Just to clarify, the vag-com doesn't adjust the timing, it just lets you read the timing. Warm up the car, with the engine running, the current vag com software lets you see on a chart how advanced/retarded the timing is.

See if there's an issue first. To adjust the timing, see the timing belt article in the FAQ and note that you probably have stretch bolts that need to be replaced when you adjust the timing.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I saw the last post about the glow plugs, but when are they active and when are they not active? The car has been starting fine but I think it is harder to start.
The glow plugs are active above 48oF even after you see the GP light go out.

Your car begins it's pre glow when you turn the key, even after you start the engine, the GP are on until 2500 rpm

If your coolant temp sensor is bad then it can not set the glow plugs correctly.

Dont' forget the coolant glow plugs, when the IAT is low, the CGP stay on longer too, assuming that you have a manual trans.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Don't forget that turning the key twice to turn the glowplug light doesn't do anything in modern TDIs. The ECU has an afterflow, they are on below 48 degrees. Older cars could have benefitted from turning the glowplugs on twice, these cars don't because glowplug time is conroled by the ECU.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I have been seeing similar symptoms in my TDI, I'll have to do some more checking. It has gotten a bit worse over the last couple years.

·
Super Moderator
8,982 Posts
FLipped - You don't say what bleeding car your talking about please add your car spec in User Control Panel - Edit your details, What car model/year do you have?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts