VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this 98 Jetta 2 days ago. First morning air temp in the teens and car not plugged in, car started fine by cycling GPs twice. Second morning had car plugged in, again in the teens-20s, started right up. GPs cycled for maybe 3-4 secs. This evening as I left work car barely started. During day got up to low 30s, probably mid 20s when I tried starting it. Didn't notice duration on the GPs. Let it warm up for 15 min, drove for five mins to store. In store for maybe 2 hrs and tried to leave. GPs (wait to start light anyways) only came on for 1-2 secs. Ended up cranking for about 10 min. (not continously) before it finally started. Each time, the GPs would only come on for the 1-2 sec period. Temp had dropped a little since I first started it at work.
Questions: Why such a short time to have the GPs on when it's so cold out? What feeds the timer for the GPs?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
By the way, at work I can plug in during the day. Which is good since it hasn't gotten really cold yet here.

·
Registered
175 Posts
2nd, this is a common problem on the ALHs. It tricks the GPs into firing longer. If the light stays on much longer then you've found the problem. Also make sure the battery is charged up. If it's really cold get a coolant heater.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the idea. I'll have to try it. It came with the coolant heater, fortunately, and it does work great. Just hard to find a place to plug it in while at the store. Maybe I need to talk all of the stores around here to install outlets in their parking lots to help us diesel guys out. And out here most vehicles are diesel pickups, so the outlets would get used.
Thanks again for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts