VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I drove my newly purchased '05 Passat TDI from Denver to Nor Cal. It ran perfectly. Yesterday I put in my first tank-full of B100. On starting the engine, it cranked for 5-10 seconds before firing. This was followed by 30 seconds of rough idle. On dyno diesel none of this occurred. Any ideas?

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's possible that the bio cleaned out some gunk and it clogged the fuel filter. Or the bio had some contamination. Or the bio is leaking out a leaky seal and air is getting into the fuel lines.

Inspect for any leaks and inspect the fuel pickup in the rear. If they are fine then change the fuel filter. You may also want to install a small clear, diesel rated fuel filter before the fuel filter so you can see if it's clogging. Clamp the lines to the existing lines so that there are no leaks.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
FYI, how many miles are on the Passat? I have been working on a FAQ article describing the oil chain/pump some of these cars have been getting. If the car is still under warranty, iou hear a lot of chain noise, take it to a dealer and have them look at it. If it's not under warranty, look into various extended warrantys and try to get it replaced with a gear driven oil pump.

While not every car needs it, many have excess chain noise and some have total failures which leads to engine damage. Here are more details:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/b5/OilpumpFAQ.htm

Also, these cars just had a glow plug recall. The dealer will replace the Bosch ceramic glow plugs with steel glow plugs and they MUST reflash the ECU to account for the new glow plugs. Some have broken off their tips and trashed the engine.

Also, have the timing belt and all tensioners/rollers/water pump changed if there is no record of it within the last 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If those don't work then there could be a clog in the line too. It could be a coincidence...or maybe not? but the lift pump could have died at the same time. Open the fuel tank port and you can see the electric fuel lift pump, it runs all the time when the engine is running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts