VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for some reason my 2005 jetta tdi 1.9 is shifting harder especially into 3rd. What could be the problem. I did wash my engine about 10 days ago. Is there some kind of mechanical mechanism or shift lever under the hood that I can lubricate? Should I try changing gear oil if that will make any difference? If yes what type of gear oil I can use and what is the capacity?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
The gears are worked by a couple of cables that connect to a linkage on the top of the gearbox, if you get someone to wiggle the gearstick you should see it fine and you could try giving it a bit of lubrication to see if it helps.:)

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you guys, I used some grease on the plastic part that slides forward and back as gears are shifted and it worked. I will just pour some clean engine oil on anything that moves in that area. Once again thank you for the suggestions and great video.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. my hard shifting problem is back again, now the 2nd and 4th are shifting hard. Sometimes the 4th gear does not want to engage at all and the 2nd shifts with the sound like the clutch was not pressed all the way. I tried lubricating everything that moves around the shifter area, and also tried adjusting shifter cables according to diesel geek's video. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Maybe there's to much wear in the selector on the top of the box, you could try wiggling it to see.:)

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe there's to much wear in the selector on the top of the box, you could try wiggling it to see.:)
selector looks OK. I wonder if 2nd and 4th gears are sitting higher than gears 1, 3 and 5 so that in the case my gear oil is low gears 2 and 4 are not getting adequate lubrication.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I wouldn't have thought so, more likely a bit of wear or misadjustment but if you're concerned then you could check your gearbox oil or even change it.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, try changing the gearbox oil if it's not within the last 80,000 miles or so. You could try to bleed the clutch fluid. Maybe it's not releasing the clutch fully?

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after replacing gear oil, bleeding clutch line and adjusting shifter linkage for the 2nd time everything is back to normal. Gear oil was not dirty but was little low. Thank you all once again - Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts