VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the FAQ about hard shifting into first but I'm having problems shifting into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and reverse gear with my Mk3 Jetta. It seems like you just can't push the clutch pedal down far enough to fully disengage the clutch. And, as you might expect, the clutch engages very early, with the pedal only about an inch, or less, off the floor. Shouldn't it engage much higher? Is there some way to adjust the height at which the clutch pedal engages/disengages the clutch? From what I've read, no. Or, is this just a differently described example of the FAQ shifter cable adjustment demo? The clutch has shown no signs of slippage.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
There is no adjustment for the clutch pedal. My first guess is to check the fluid level and to bleed the clutch fluid. Also see if double pumping makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Chitty,

I am having a similar problem with my 2003 Golf Mk4 TDI, 5-spd. ONLY when shifting from 1st to 2nd gears from a dead stop, when the engine is warm (after say 10 miles), I get the little "brrrrrrip" gear sync grind as I pull the stick back into 2nd. It's almost like there is a synchro-mesh not functioning(?). It ONLY does it when it is warmed up. I performed the "homing" clutch cable adjustment procedures and thought I had it fixed but then I drove in to town (@ 17 miles) and it started acting up again. All other gears are fine.

What I have done so far:

1. Checked the brake/clutch fluid level - is exactly full, and just barely off-clear.
2. Inspected clutch pedal connection/linkage inside the car - bushing appears solid, no slack.
3. Performed the adjustment procedures as posted here in the forums (unbelievably awesome by the way!)

What I have not tried: double-pumping, which I will attempt today.

Thanks for all you Gurus do in here!

-Charles

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Normally I'd move your post to the mk4 section but the clutch system is the same. Have you changed the fluid to something a little thinner? Try redline MTL. The fluid change alone can help.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
try lubricating the shifter shaft with syringe and engine oil. Syringe is good since it is nice and small to fit in tight place. What you need to do is tell someone to shift gears from 1-5 including R and pay attention to the shifter shaft you will see it only at certain gears (it will be most approachable) then spray it with engine oil then shift it again 1-5 and R and do it again. You will notice the difference right away. This problems normally occur after engine wash.

·
Super Moderator
9,220 Posts
I performed the "homing" clutch cable adjustment procedures and thought I had it fixed but then I drove in to town (@ 17 miles) and it started acting up again. Charles
I don't think VW's use clutch cables do they?

I was just reading a problem on another forum 1995 Jetta and the clutch pedal is stuck on the floor someone suggested a broken clutch cable. He says he's search for the clutch slave cylinder and can't find it, maybe it does have a cable.

It appears some non TDI model had cables http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f4/clutch-cable-issues-need-help-diagnosing-any-help-would-appreciated-7220/

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Chitty,
Sorry about the post placement, I get lost in these forums. No, I have not changed the fluid yet. I will do so today. I am at almost 11,00ft in Colorado and it gets down to about -30 degrees here. I have read too many differing posts on the cost/benefits between the Red Line, Amsoil, and Royal Purple lubes. Do you have an opinion on using Amsoil or RP? Thanks :)

Almir,
I will lube the shifter shaft today also. I do usually wash the engine compartment when I was the car. I didn't think about having dried-out the shifter shaft bushing. Thanks to you as well.

Keith,
(LoL) No, I'm just an idiot. I meant to say shift linkage cables, I just had clutch cables on the brain because I've been working on two old Kawasaki KZ motorcycles this week too. Thanks for trying to help me. :)

Thank you for the the info! -Charles

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
try lubricating the shifter shaft with syringe and engine oil. Syringe is good since it is nice and small to fit in tight place. What you need to do is tell someone to shift gears from 1-5 including R and pay attention to the shifter shaft you will see it only at certain gears (it will be most approachable) then spray it with engine oil then shift it again 1-5 and R and do it again. You will notice the difference right away. This problems normally occur after engine wash.
almir,

I lubed the shift armature shaft and linkage and it did help about 50%. I'm still getting a little bit of a buzz going from 1st to 2nd gear. I'm going to do the MTL change this evening and hope that solves the other 50%.

-CR

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had similar issues but 3rd and 4th, seemed like when the cold weather came. Changed the oil three days ago and problem solved. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
almir,

I lubed the shift armature shaft and linkage and it did help about 50%. I'm still getting a little bit of a buzz going from 1st to 2nd gear. I'm going to do the MTL change this evening and hope that solves the other 50%.

-CR
I am glad to hear that, please repeat this procedure again, you have to repeat it at least two times to be effective. The goal is to have oil go down the shaft and inside of the shaft's bushing. When you shift in reverse the shaft will go up and down, try to do it while the shaft is in the up position and try to lube it as precise as possible. I tried replacing trans oil and it did not help much, but still it is a good thing. Also, look at Dieselgeek's instructions on how to adjust the shifter cables, make sure you use the right size (thickness) nail for the procedure or it will not work correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts