VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great forum. Looking forward to chatting with everyone and learning a few things about my car. It's a 2004 Beetle TDI. Haven't driven it since August. It has 120,000 miles on it and still has the original timing belt. I think I'm well beyond the life of the timing belt and that is what leads me here. Hopefully, I can do this job, (with the article on timing belt replacement on this forum) but if not I will be calling on myturbodiesel members for help. Hope everyone has a wonderful New Year.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome, welcome! modeltee, it shouldn't be too hard but I would not take any road trips with the car that far over the change interval.

ajt14870, first thing to do is check for any codes so that you aren't chasing the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies
It has 120,000 miles on it and still has the original timing belt.
Well your first job is way over due as the timing belt should be changed at 80k so your lucky.

Happy New Year. ;)

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I have done a few belt jobs it's not that hard it just takes time and some special tools my two cents

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the timing belt kit and the special tool kit from one of the forum sponsers. Diesel Geek. Very nice to deal with. I had barely gotten started on the car New Years Eve and got a call to come to work. Needless to say the bug got put on the back burner again. Will the engine support used on the Jetta work on the Beetle? Doesn't seem like any room to tighten the support for the engine.Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi bud, if that's for holding the engine up while the mount's off I just use a small trolley jack with a piece of wood under the corner of the sump. As long as you go careful it's fine. If I'm on the wrong track then just ignore this.:D

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Will the engine support used on the Jetta work on the Beetle? Doesn't seem like any room to tighten the support for the engine.Thanks.
I'm not sure but my engine support base can swivel. However, I know the NB fenders are also curved. If you figure how to support the NB from the top, please post a follow up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts