VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for allowing me to join. Will be picking up 2006 Jetta TDI this coming Saturday. I would like to get started first with timing belt / wp replacement as car has 82K+ and then would like to get going with some performance upgrades. Can anyone recommend a performance exhaust system for the 1.9 TDI?

Thanks kindly for getting this rookie started in the right direction!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You could have a muffler shop make a muffler-less exhaust after the catalytic converter. A flow through exhaust should improve spool up slightly but the real gains are in chip tuning because to make more power you need more fuel which is done through chip tuning. Check out the sponsor kermatdi.com. Stay away from high flow air filters - the VW MAF sensor tends to be sensitive to dirt and the same air filter is used on all variants of the body including the high power models so there's plenty of excess capacity built in.
welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much...getting a little nervous

Had an '03, it was great car, circumstances at the time forced sale. Have been reading quite a bit about the '06's and it seems as though there are many out there who are not pleased with this model for many reasons. This is the first "newer" car that I will have bought or will be able to buy for some time and am concerned about the reliability and cost of repair factors. I also drive at least 125 mile per day and need reliable, great mileage transportation. Your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Is it manual or DSG? Get manual for greater reliability. A common problem is flywheels and camshaft wear. Check out the mk5 2005-2006 buying guide for a list of common problems. Other than that, the door wiring harness breaks due to use and age. There are a few other things that you may see but I'm pretty happy with my 2006.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the info...

Yes it is a manual, couldn't drive anything else. I greatly appreciate your response and your confidence in the product, I am going to go ahead and make the purchase. I have a feeling we will be talking in the future, hope you don't mind. I am mechanically capable and plan on learning every aspect of the vehicle. Your input will be greatly appreciated as well as respected. This website is awesome and will come in very handy. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts