VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member but have been viewing the VW TDI Forum for a number of years...
My 2001 MK4 TDI GLS has been a great car since new, with some interesting ($$$) surprises from time to time.
I've had numerous models of VWs over the past 40y including diesels, that have served me well.
The current stock Golf is black, 4dr, with 224k km (~139k m) on the odo and is due for a timing/serpentine belt total kit change.
Just recently the stick is becoming increasing difficult to shift, more so when the trany is warm than after start. The shift gates seem very catchy compared to before. Frequently now if approaching a red light in 5th and coming to a stop with the clutch depressed, the shifter is stuck in 5th and can't be wiggled free without turning the engine off. Then it easily pops into neutral or any other gear selected for a restart. The clutch seems to work fine, but is the original since new. It is engaging more toward the end of travel than previously.

Prior to a recent trip from Calgary to Vancouver Canada and back (total ~2500km (1500+m)), I had the engine oil changed and transmission fluid checked, which looked quite black. It was replaced with the latest recommended G70 fluid. The Golf ran flawlessly and averaged 59mpg going from 3500ASL to 4500ASL in the mountains to sea level on the Coast and then back.

I power-washed car and the engine bay at local diy car wash the other day, as usual for all my cars for many years. Today I took the Golf in to have the transmission fluid checked in the same shop as the shifting is getting more annoying. The mechanic advised that the new transmission fluid has water in it and needs to be replaced. Where did this water get in????
I have never had any contaminated oil in my long experience, and could not see any openings when examining the engine bay with my mechanic.

$75 and new transmission fluid later the rough shifting is still there.

Can anyone advise how/where the water got in? and who might have similar sticky shifting issues.

Regards

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There are a number of cars where washing it will result in standing water which gets into the electrical connections. VW is pretty good about having water resistant connections but I would use a scrubber and hose it off gently.

Other than adjusting the shifter, have you bled the clutch fluid? Maybe it's low and ther'es air in there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does he know? There is probably a vent at the top of the transmission. I wouldn't power wash the engine though, there are too many fragile wires and stuff that could get damaged by a strong get of water, even the DIY car wash places are probably too strong.

Try adjusting the shifter. The cables probably have stretched: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/shifter-adjust-VW-Audi.htm
Reply: Thanks for reply 5point.
When the mechanic opened the fill port hole, he took a fluid sample for analysis and found it contaminated-milky and less viscous than the straight transmission fluid.
The only vent I could find was a small vertical tube about 3/8"d x 1/2" high with a loose fitting black plastic captive cap. This was adjacent the base of the shift damper weight. A head mechanic in another VW shop that specializes in VW TDI transmissions said there were no vents he knew of that could have admitted water. There is an elongated plastic cap with o ring seals on top of the flywheel bell housing but any water entering here would drain out of the clutch chamber.

Yes, adjusting the shifter cables looks quite easy from watching the video tutorial.

H

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chitty

There are a number of cars where washing it will result in standing water which gets into the electrical connections. VW is pretty good about having water resistant connections but I would use a scrubber and hose it off gently.

Other than adjusting the shifter, have you bled the clutch fluid? Maybe it's low and ther'es air in there?
Thanks for the good advice Chitty...
although I've never had any electrical malfunctions due to careful hosing of my engine bays in over 45 years' experience in working on my cars.

I've never bled the clutch fluid, which is shared with the brakes. I've checked out the DIY section on that info in the DIY site, and might solve the problem. The reservoir is up to the max line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts