VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes. Fairly priced but not when you take into account your labor.

Body panel fit and interior finish is poor when compared to a car that comes off an assembly line. It comes down to you to make them fit perfectly and do custom work but it'd be nice if they came from the kit maker with a perfect fit.

Another reason the cars are so light is that they don't have standard bumpers, airbags, safety equipment, etc. The GTM has a roll cage which is very strong, I'm sure, but there's no way it could compare to 100 engineers doing the repeated crash testing that a factory car sees.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eh, still safer than a motorcycle. For the price, you are paying for performance, it's the same idea behind a replica kit. Instead of paying a ton for a genuine cobra, you are paying for a cobra replica that is just as good and is fun to build. You don't pay the premium for the "genuine" article.

It's not like buying a fiero and turning it into a "faux-rrari"

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
For someone who has a shop it would not be too hard, for someone who only has basic experience it would be very difficult. It's like saying you painted your house vs. you were the general contractor for your house. You have to find good paint people, someone who can fix the interior, it all depends on what the kit comes with. And there will be a very small knowledge base for the car, if at all. I would rather just get a corvette...like this one...this guy has serious power issues...

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
That just goes to show you what a great car the corvette is. I'm sure that guy had some work done, but there's no replacement for more displacement!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts