VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from cold and snowy Wisconsin. I'm watching for the development of primarily Audi Diesels imported to the US, but the US market is kind of slow to respond to diesel given an ugly GM history.
TX
R

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I too am looking for a diesel: I would LOVE to see the Audi A4 TDI available in the US. I want a great winter car (AWD 4WD) with better than 35 mpg. They do it in Europe. let's do it here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd say the chances of an A4 TDI would be a lot better if they wasn't an A6 and Q5 hybrid. I say 50/50 chance the A4 comes with the TDI or the hybrid.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, I too am looking for a diesel: I would LOVE to see the Audi A4 TDI available in the US. I want a great winter car (AWD 4WD) with better than 35 mpg. They do it in Europe. let's do it here.
For that kind of mpg the Audi TDI has to come with the 2.0L TDI engine. Quattro weighs the car down so look at the kind of mpg that the current Audi A3 TDI gets and then add a few hundred pounds. 35 mpg seems doable but I wouldn't expect much over 40 mpg average.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
For that kind of mpg the Audi TDI has to come with the 2.0L TDI engine. Quattro weighs the car down so look at the kind of mpg that the current Audi A3 TDI gets and then add a few hundred pounds. 35 mpg seems doable but I wouldn't expect much over 40 mpg average.
I want the 3.0L engine but the 2.0L engine is honestly the best choice. BMW and MB have the 3.0L engine and sales are not the success that the VW and Audi TDI are. The other cars should have come with their 4 cylinder as MB's E320 2.2L Bluetec engine makes 204hp and 369 lb-ft. That's as much torque as a gas V8 and would have no problem moving the cars. Instead, the only have the E350 V6 diesel engine with 210hp and 400 lb-ft. The extra cost, weight, and fuel economy decrease just isn't worth it.

So Audi, you better have a 4 cylinder TDI or repeat BMW and MB's mistakes.my two cents Or at least have the 6 cylinder option...the engine/drivetrain is already used in the Audi Q7 TDI and Touareg TDI.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member to forum

Just wanted to say hi. I am the proud owner of a 2005 VW Golf TDI with 120K miles. Been a great car for my 500mi per week commute.

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
Welcome to the forum btorgis. welcometomyturbodies

It amazes me how new users will add an intro to an existing thread which is offtopic2 when we have a specific section for this New TDI forum member introductions where it will be easily seen. Don't worry you're not the only new user that does this. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts