VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have just discovered this forum whle searching for info on the workings of VNT turbos!
I am living in West Ireland. I have been driving TDI Volkswagens and Audis for the last 8 years.

Currently I have a 2006 Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170bhp. Engine code is BRD. I have the car about 10 months now. Since purchasing it modifications have been a DPF delete and at the same time a remap.
This was done as the DPF blocked. I found it much nicer to drive with the DPF deleted. A lot more low down pull.

Unfortunately, recently, I have had more trouble with the car!! A flap in the EGR cooler broke and entered the cylinder head doing quite a bit of damage!! :(
I have fitted a second hand engine but the car is still not running nice.
When taking off, if you give the car throtle, it does not seem to boost - but if you lift off throtle and go again it boosts but on and off (quite violently)...

Currently I am suspecting a piece from my old damaged engine may have traveled through and into turbo and causing problems with vane movement....
Hence, the VNT Google search which has brought me here! :)
Any other suggestions are more than welcome!!!

Looking forward to being part of the community on here!!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome! This does sound possible, I assume the turbo was reused? Before removing it, I would also read the checklist for low power in the FAQ and see if one of those causes might be causing your problem. In addition to mechanical damage, a common problem is turbo control issues like sticking valve, solenoids, broken vacuum lines, etc. It could be as simple as a malfunctioning actuator. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/VNT-wastegate-adjust.htm Here is an article on that, I'm not 100% sure but your car should be similar but with the smart sensor, the black part on the can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the turbo was reused.
Thanks for the link - that is an excellent write up!
I will check the other possibilities before giving in to taking out the turbo again.
The advice is much appreciated! I will update the thread when I make some progress!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts