VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used IP on ebay, 100k on pump, working car, etc.

get the thing here, looks great, get the 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI in the shop, mechanic calls says
it's the wrong pump, it's the one for an automatic... ok, that's the 11mm, not the 10mm...

called a Diesel pump shop, they said, yeah that's an upgrade... people do it all the time... even with the same injectors.
called the shop that rebuilt my injectors, they didn't know, don't do enough tdi's, but didn't see where it'd be a problem.

checked the forum see generally good reviews... more power... but didn't see anything definitive on the mileage.

at this point I just want the car put together and drivevable... but if it's a long term issue I might swap out the
injectors if needed to dial things in.

any suggestions, caveats or is this simply a good thing that I happened to fall into?

or do I need to put a screeching halt to the work so I don't create a molten block of metal on I-5?

thanx,
john

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's an upgrade. It may slightly lower fuel economy because it takes more energy to drive the bigger head but if you don't want it I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to trade. IMHO I would use it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the confirmation. we'll see how it drives. just happy to have it working again. seems like every issue the TDI's have, I've experienced. :) learning a lot, but I really didn't need the education.

found a nice '83 cherokee chief, plan to put an SD33T in it, have one standing by... turbo Diesel jeep... :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's getting worse now... turns out the used pump not only was the wrong one, but the guy pulled the sprocket, the shop determined that it doesn't have the resources to set the sprocket up on the pump. or so they say...

anyone want to swap a non-sprocketed 11mm pump for a working 10mm pump anywhere within 200 miles of Seattle?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Argh...yes, the sprocket doesn't have a key on it to the pump so you're not supposed to loosen it. You could make it work by doing a rough install and then fine tuning with VCDS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm beginning to think this Jetta has a curse, or is greatly favored by Mr. Murphy.

I need to get the pumps down to Portland, need to pack them up so they don't
leak Diesel fuel... but the mechanic didn't leave the bolts in the pump for the sprocket
so I need to go back into town to retrieve them, or see if the shop has them and buy them.

The TDI likely wasn't well cared for by the PO's... the mileage wasn't that great when I got it,
and then a series of issues led me to discover two bad injectors, and then the pump (metering control valve) acted up...

1) bad biodiesel from a new source
2) I used more than 50%, my bad, didn't think about lubricity
3) filter clogged on my benz, and likely on the VW
4) after the filter change the pump started hammering
5) sounded like injectors, pulled 'em, found two bad ones, rebuilt/cleaned all.
6) installed new injectors, ran good for a few days, started hammering
7) talked to shop, error codes and their experiences pointed to the metering valve (P0252)
(I sure wish there was some way of stopping those annoying animated gif's to the right of this field)
8) the shop suggested Diesel Purge, that helped, for a few days, repeated process, each time noise
would return...
9) pulled fuel pickup, cleaned it
10) replaced filter, more Diesel purge
11) got special tool, cleaned upper part, that helped... but it was becoming apparent that the metering valve was likely worn... so I tried to disassemble it... (what else did I have to lose at this point?) and that's when I slipped and bent the lower end stop on the vane... so idle was really, really rough... I suppose I could have bent it back so it didn't drop so much in rpm at idle, but I just resigned myself to a replacement pump.
12) used pump on ebay $250, 10mm ALH, blah, blah, 100k from running car, at the least I could rob the metering valve top part...
13) got the part late, the guy pulled the sprocket for another pump and gave me a $20 refund... I should have figured at this point things weren't going to end well...
14) got the pump... looked at the how to's to replace pump, devised a plan to pull the pump without removing valve covers and half the engine... looked at the engine, and what was involved, decided I really didn't want to mess with this... called around, decided to take it to a shop...
15) drove it to the shop
16) shop called, said it was from an automatic (11mm)... they wouldn't install, this is
where we pick up this current thread
17) called diesel shops and wrecking yards - none for two weeks, all said an 11mm would be ok.
18) the shop called, they realized (after pulling my sprocket) that the sprocket is not indexed,
they don't have the tools to reset it, not willing to experiment (expensive engine, they're right, used price on one up here $2750)...
19) get in touch with Diesel Fuel Injection Services in PDX, every Diesel shop, dealer and TDI fan referred me to the same place (a very good sign)... turns out I believe these were the guys that rebuilt the pump in my '80 Olds 5.7 back in '85, superb staff and techs, spent the entire day there with them watching, they don't usually work on cars but they had mercy on me and pulled the pump and even dialed it in for me in the olds... not completely sure these are the same guys, but since they're so helpful right now, they must be. :)
20) so now I need to wrap up two pumps and get to UPS... they'll check both pumps and get me set back up, no charge for the replacement of the sprocket and the checking of the pumps... this is the way a business establishes itself with not only a good reputation but a faithful clientele. I've got three SD33T pumps that need rebuilding... I'll be buying parts from these guys or having them do the pumps...

to be continued...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts