VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I followed the following instructions to silence the door chime:

This page shows how to disable the door open chime on mkvi VW model years 2010, 2011, and newer.

You can use VCDS to disable the door open chime by changing the software code from America to Great Britain. Don't do this modification if it's illegal where you live or operate the car. It can be changed back at any time by changing the software code back to America and you should do so before reselling the car.

This also changes the multifunction display/indicator MFDMFI from US gallons to UK gallons (UK gallons are bigger. This is one reason why European mpg ratings are so much higher), Fahrenheit to Celsius, and the 2 hour clock to a 24 hour clock (military time). If you have a highline display you can change all of these back to their original settings. See 1000q: MFD settings for more details.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/door-chime-disable-golf-jetta.htm
The article mentions gallons, temperature, time and units but nothing about speed. I have read through this article and a couple others and can't find where this is adjusted in the MFI. Is this controlled by a VAG-COM setting I am not aware of? I really like the changes the "GB" country setting has ushered in but I may have to revert back to "US" setting if I can't get this changed as it's very distracting and useless for me. The other alternative I suppose is to suppress it (by unchecking), but I like to keep the big MPH setting up for when I am not in Cruise Control.

Please help. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Hmm...I have not noticed this. Are you talking about the speedometer dial or the digital speedometer display in the MFD? If you mean the MFD speedometer, I don't know if you can change it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think most of the warning chimes are able to be disabled separately, without resetting the software region. I disabled the seatbelt chime in mine, and I'm pretty certain I saw the door-open-with-key-in-ignition setting in there also. Don't know about the lights-on setting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Hmm...I have not noticed this. Are you talking about the speedometer dial or the digital speedometer display in the MFD? If you mean the MFD speedometer, I don't know if you can change it.
This is the for the MFD. The GB setting is a little different and has the speed on all screens between two lines. Thx

I think most of the warning chimes are able to be disabled separately, without resetting the software region. I disabled the seatbelt chime in mine, and I'm pretty certain I saw the door-open-with-key-in-ignition setting in there also. Don't know about the lights-on setting.
Hmm, I'll check again. If it's there, I must have missed it as I have suppressed the seat belt chime, seat belt/windshield washer warning displays and horn while locking in that area.

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
Well I down know if you live in the UK because there is no location on this forum. If you do then you can't change the kph to mph because the speedo scale only reads mph so as part of EU regulation you have to display kph as well. I believe you can change it in the MFD when you change the fuel display to US gallons but whats the point you will have a different mpg reading.

Come to think of it, I don't have this annoying door chime. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I down know if you live in the UK because there is no location on this forum. If you do then you can't change the kph to mph because the speedo scale only reads mph so as part of EU regulation you have to display kph as well. I believe you can change it in the MFD when you change the fuel display to US gallons but whats the point you will have a different mpg reading.

Come to think of it, I don't have this annoying door chime. ;)
I am in Plymouth, MA USA. I changed the country code in the MFD from US to GB in order to get rid of the open door chime. This change also converts a bunch of other settings (Celsius, military time, etc.) which can be changed back in the MFI Settings menu. One change that also occurs is that each screen now has the Km/h between two lines.

So in the above example, instead of the temperature you get your average speed in Km/h. What I want to do is keep the layout and make this M/h.

6thVW-1stTDI mentioned suppressing the chime in VCDS, but I like the GB look.

Cheers! :thumbsup

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
What I want to do is keep the layout and make this M/h.
Yes but as I said I don't think this is available because speedo's have to show mph and kph. Because its digital they have the seperate kph reading. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
Yes I see that now chitty. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got around this by changing the country to "Australia" and tweaking the units. Now I get no door chime and yet the big SPEED display is back. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts