VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I got another question for you. I had my timing belt and oil pump replaced in late July and shortly after I got a small oil leak. I wasn't 100% sure at first, as I have a lot of oil spots in my garage, but I am sure now. It appears to be coming from a hose that comes off the top of the engine and then travels down and towards the front of the car on the passenger side. I just cleaned all the oil residue off and I am going to be watching it over the next few days to see if I can pinpoint it. I will post pictures once I pinpoint it. So any ideas or common problem areas?

Here's the old forum:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1674

Could it be a problem from the installation of the oil pump or just a coincidence? I will post pictures soon. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Is everything OK with the balance shaft replacement? How does the car run? Quieter? Smoother? Mpg difference?

It sounds like the hose pictured below is leaking. There is no factory clamp at the bottom so I added one. It's the CCV hose, crank case ventilation - like a PVC hose. It's normal for oil to be in there from piston blowby and oil mist condensing, it's the low spot.

I also put some ultra grey permatex gasket maker around the hose end barbs. Ultragrey won't harden so it's easy to remove. Just put a light dab at the middle of the hose barb (you don't want excess getting squeezed out, it's just to form a tight seal) and add the hose clamp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You beat me to the pics and that's exactly where it is coming from. Thanks again guys. Once again this website amazes me. Also, what about the MPG difference? I think I noticed a slight decrease (maybe a couple MPG on highway) afterward but I only had it for a week so maybe I am imagining things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Balance Shaft...?

The more I hear on this little mpg champ the more I'm perplexed.
I've read and re-read:nana2: the timing belt change procedure and I do not recall any "balance shaft"
What b that?
New guy wants to know...:D
Thanks!
dan

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The more I hear on this little mpg champ the more I'm perplexed.
I've read and re-read:nana2: the timing belt change procedure and I do not recall any "balance shaft"
What b that?
New guy wants to know...:D
Thanks!
dan
What model are you talking about? The 2004-2005 VW Passat TDI has a balance shaft that is in the oil pan. You can't see it without removing the oil pan.

Read more about it here:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/b5/OilpumpFAQ.htm

Procedure to remove it here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/b5/balanceshaft%20_moduleReplace.htm

It's not touched during the timing belt procedure. If you have chain noise and need to replace the oil pump/balance shaft assembly, the timing belt comes off and should be replaced anyways. IMHO, the percentage of cars which will have this problem is high enough/will be high enough that I would consider it a defective design. I'm not saying that all will but enough that it should be changed out, especially if the car has higher mileage. Every car is different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts