VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Im replacing the timing belt on my golf with ALH engine and have put the new belt on without loosening the 3 bolts on the injection pump. The engine is turning fine by hand and everything including the slots in the pump lines up when its at TDC, but Im a bit worried that the tension on the belt will be uneven because I didnt loosen the bolts. Does anybody know if this could damage the belt or anything else? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
The 3 bolts are just for fine adjustment in a rotational manner and shouldn't affect the tension. Just make sure the tensioner itself is done right and all should be safe. If you didn't use the proper tools though you might get a telling off.:D Did you get a kit with a new tensioner and water pump etc?:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I got the "deluxe" kit, which even included a free baseball cap-havent figured out where it fits on yet!!- Anyway thanks for the reply, I guess Ill find out if its ok when I fire her up

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies
Yes I got the "deluxe" kit, which even included a free baseball cap-havent figured out where it fits on yet!!
You could try your head? :nana2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think im gonna check the injection pump timing with everything set where its at as Im curious to know how my pump timing has been for the last 8 years, then go back and lock everything at TDC then crack loose the camshaft and pump pulleys and reset the tensioner. Im just a bit concerned that setting tension without both pulleys loose could result in uneven tension such as a tight region between cam and pump as the belt is rotating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts