VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I about to pull the trigger on a Golf TDI, but after some last minute research, I am not sure I am making the right decision.

I will be starting dental school in the fall, and I will living about 5 miles away from campus. Would such short trips be detrimental to the DPF?

One reason I am considering a TDI is because when winter comes along, I will be making frequent trips to the mountain (~20 miles) every weekend to snowboard. It may be the only thing that keeps me sane from all the studying and the fact that I'll be living in Utah for the next 4 years.

Another reason I like the TDI over the regular Golf is because there are simply options that you can not add on to the 2.5 (xenons, Dynaudio, and steering wheel control).

Still, after some reading, I am really hesitant to pull the trigger on the TDI now considering my short trips and relatively cold climate habitat.

Tuan

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tuan. welcometomyturbodies

I will be starting dental school in the fall, and I will living about 5 miles away from campus. Would such short trips be detrimental to the DPF?
Well I only do the 4.5 miles trip to work everyday and my DPF doesn't light up. I do give it a blast up the motorway/freeway occasionally just to clear any $hit/water out of the exhaust. This should be done with any engine petrol or diesel. I wouldn't let the thought of the DPF put you off?

If you're not a sporty guy then the diesel should be ok. Are you thinking of new or used?

Lets face it the main reason anyone buys a diesel is fuel economy thats all, though thats not my main reason. I've always liked a sporty car and my friends at work for many years have always said you should get a diesel. I've driven diesels over the years but I was never impressed as they have been noisey and had poor performance. Obviously things have changed over the years so I thought I would get the sporty diesel which will see me out of this world. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The short trips aren't great for the car but short trips aren't great for any car because the engine won't heat up to the point where all water will be evaporated out of the engine, oil, exhaust, etc. Will it cause any problems with the car? It shouldn't. It won't make your car blow up if that's what you were asking :)

Honestly, a hybrid isn't a bad idea for your driving style but there aren't any comparable hybrids that I'm interested in.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Honestly, a hybrid isn't a bad idea for your driving style but there aren't any comparable hybrids that I'm interested in.
I think the new Lexus CT looks interesting. I think I would also like to take a look at the new Civic hybrid with the lithium battery when it comes out for 2012. I'm thinking about them for my wife. She loves her current Honda and I know she wants nothing to do with diesel fuel. There is something to be said for using regular gas, no premium and no diesel.

For the fellow that started this thread, I think he should just get a GTI if he wants the VW with options like a TDI and isn't driving zillions of miles like most of us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys!

I did look at the GTI briefly but I still perfer the look of the TDI. The GTI just looks a little too boy racer to me, especially the inside.

I have also read that these TDI engines are a notch more reliable than the 2.0T in the GTI. Coming from driving exclusively Hondas and Toyotas, I want something that is somewhat reliable.

I think the Golf TDI as a package hits the spot in terms of practicality and fun to drive factor :thumbsup.

Btw.. This is a great, friendly forum for TDIers. I am glad I found out about it!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Like chitty said...your driving style isnt optimal for this type of engine, but it shouldnt damage it, but u would need to be on higher alert for condensate build up in the intercooler as some have experienced.

You would probably be better suited to get something like a hybrid with a gas engine or a car with a gas engine that gets better mileage than the 2.5. If you're buying for long term this would probably be better. The thing about the TDI is that when the engine/fuel is cold, and you arent driving a long distance, your overall fuel economy is only marginally better, if its any better, than a gas car that gets above average city mileage.

Couple that with the fact that diesel is, at least where i am, significantly more expensive than regular gas. Under these conditions it would be hard to do more than just break even most of the year with the diesel. From a fuel economy perspective, under these conditions you'd do much better with something like a Ford Fiesta for example, albeit im not sure that the fiesta has as many goodies available as a golf/jetta tdi.

The TDI is really great and i love mine, and the winter cold doesn't really hurt my mileage much because im driving an average of 70 miles each way to work each day. I use my old toyota for short trips and errands.

I'd do some more research on gas cars or even upscale hybrids if u desire great fuel economy and some fun options that best fit your driving style. Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tuan209,

Your priorities seems pretty similar to what mine were when I bought my TDI in September. The fact is that diesel fuel economy wasn't really a priority for me. I don't commute to work, so my car sits in the garage all week. When i do take it out for errands during the week or weekend, I rarely need to travel more than a few miles, and that's mostly in grinding Chicago city traffic.

For me, the TDI was exactly the right package at the right time. I was cross shopping other new hatchbacks like the Mazda3 and the Golf 2.5, as well as used "premium" cars with low mileage like the Audi A4 and BMW 328i. Sure, for the price of my base model TDI (not even a sunroof), I could have driven off with a fabulous BMW with the premium package and 20K miles, a brand new Mazda3 absolutely loaded with leather, xenons, and navigation, or even saved $3000 with a new Golf 2.5 automatic with sunroof and dealer-installed 17" wheels. But none of those cars offered the right combination of size, interior excellence, features (even the Bimmer had a lousy bluetooth), classy style (just look at that ridiculous Mazda), and day-to-day affordability ($200 oil changes on the bimmer or $2500 maintenance package). That the TDI happened to have that lovable diesel character and torque and great mileage was just a bonus.

Given how I drive my car, I will probably never even break even on fuel savings. And i, too, worry about how short drives might effect the engine, especially as it gets very cold here and stays cold for many months. But I enjoy driving the car so much, I make extra effort to consolidate my errands, take the long way to destinations, or simply take it for a blast down the highway at frequent intervals to make sure it gets up to full operating temperature often. And while that might be exactly the wrong way to save fuel and reduce my carbon footprint, the priority for me was to buy a car I love to drive. Oh, and 44 MPG on the occasional road trip is pretty nice too.

Given your location, it seems like you'll have plenty of opportunity to drive your car on roads that'll make its handling and power really shine, and thus worth taking the long way home. Just be aware that, during those very cold months, that diesel engine takes for EVER to warm up. And while it's doing so, you'll get pretty lousy mileage, way below EPA estimates.

Other cars, like hybrids or the new generation of very efficient compacts (Hyundai elantra, Ford focus, Chevy Cruze) might make better financial sense. But I suspect you're after more than that, and none of those are as appealing (to me, at least) as the TDIs complete package. So drive them all and see if the TDI is worth the extra cost.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Get whatever floats your boat, I like the torque and pull and the noise of my tdi but I've also had great fun in petrol/gas cars too:)

welcometomyturbodies Tuan209

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I did look at the GTI briefly but I still perfer the look of the TDI. The GTI just looks a little too boy racer to me, especially the inside.
I had this same feeling, but it can be pretty easily remedied getting the leather option to get rid of the Interlagos seats, swapping the Detroit wheels for something else, and painting the red stripes on the grille black. For me, just the black leather removed almost all the boy racer feeling in the interior and it was darn nice too. Then maybe also paint the brake calipers silver and there would really be almost no boy racer left at all, just a few red stitches here and there in the interior.

I have also read that these TDI engines are a notch more reliable than the 2.0T in the GTI. Coming from driving exclusively Hondas and Toyotas, I want something that is somewhat reliable.
I think that is not true, at least not anymore. Don't kid yourself about diesel engine reliability. This isn't your grandpas diesel.

Last note: In spite of all that above, I do love my little Golf TDI. It is plenty of fun to drive and gets great mpg. I even kind of like having to deal with the odd ball diesel fuel thing. I just hope it makes it 7 more years until I'm done commuting. If it does that, it will have been a great car for me!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Again, thank you for all the responses.

I have given a great deal of thought towards the GTI but to package it the way I want would cost close to 30k. That is at least 3-4k grand more than the TDI I am looking at now.

I have too looked closely at other alternatives (Honda Fit, Mazda 2/3, Lexus CT200h, etc), and while all are nice, none really have the complete package as the TDI. The only other car that I am interested in is the new 2012 Subaru Impreza, but that car is not slated to arrive late Aug or early September, well out of my time frame.

After a weekend of deliberation, I think I have finally come to the conclusion that the Golf TDI is right car for me. I will also pick up a nice bicycle or scooter for those short trips to school.

Tuan

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think the Golf TDI as a package hits the spot in terms of practicality and fun to drive factor :thumbsup.
Yup, I couldn't agree more. After over 11k in 10 months, my wife and I still feel this way about our Golf.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Again, thank you for all the responses.

I have given a great deal of thought towards the GTI but to package it the way I want would cost close to 30k. That is at least 3-4k grand more than the TDI I am looking at now.

I have too looked closely at other alternatives (Honda Fit, Mazda 2/3, Lexus CT200h, etc), and while all are nice, none really have the complete package as the TDI. The only other car that I am interested in is the new 2012 Subaru Impreza, but that car is not slated to arrive late Aug or early September, well out of my time frame.

After a weekend of deliberation, I think I have finally come to the conclusion that the Golf TDI is right car for me. I will also pick up a nice bicycle or scooter for those short trips to school.

Tuan
I'm coming from the same car - 04 TSX - and I take delivery on my Golf in a week and a half. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts