VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having negotiated buy prices with the 3 dealers within a few hours of Baltimore, I came up with (A) MSRP, (B) $150 below MSRP and (C) $350 below MSRP. As it turned out, the "A" car had not yet arrived and was apparently spoken for. The "B" car sold the day before I was scheduled to drive to the dealer and close the sale. So, I bought the "C" car, which was 2 hours away (in Dover, DE). Great dealership and great experience, but the availability on the Golf TDI is dismal. I'm sure there will be more coming on-line in the months to come, but I feel somewhat relieved to have this one in my driveway. I haven't wrung her out yet, so may come back later with some review comments.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Didn't you give up? LOL! Don't worry, everything I've read and other reviews have given it very good reviews. Just make sure to gradually move the revs up and down during the first 1000 miles to load and unload the engine. There are some tips on engine break-in in the FAQ but as I stress in the article, this is just the first step in long term engine health so don't worry if it's not followed 100%. The car will break in whatever method you use, your car won't blow up if you don't follow it 100%, and my opinion is that long term maintenance is the key to long term health.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Question on DSG

I am in southern CA and ordered a TDI early November. The dealer said it would take 3 to 4 months. Last Sunday I found a silver TDI with DSG from a dealer 100 miles away and bought it @ MSRP. So far everything is better than I expected. What's the proper way to use the DSG? Do I need to shift it to Neutral when I come to a full stop at the traffic light?

·
Registered
91 Posts
You put it in D and leave it there. Or you can put it in S mode for sportier shifting. If you want to manual shift you can do that too but you don't need to shift it to N when stopped and it won't wear anything out or prevent wear by doing so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How to break-in?

My dealer only said oil change after 5000 miles and varying RMP during the first 5000 miles. Are there any guidelines I should follow? How about additional oil change after 1000 miles? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It won't hurt but the oil is good for 10,000 miles and the additives need time to "work in". Long life oil is designed to work at a long life interval. They're probably trying to charge you for an early oil change. If it were a rebuilt engine than I would do an early oil change but remember that the first oil change was done at the factory.

I would keep the RPM varying, this is always correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It won't hurt but the oil is good for 10,000 miles and the additives need time to "work in". Long life oil is designed to work at a long life interval. They're probably trying to charge you for an early oil change. If it were a rebuilt engine than I would do an early oil change but remember that the first oil change was done at the factory.

I would keep the RPM varying, this is always correct.
VW offers Carefree Maintenance which means all the service in the manual is paid for by VW for 3 years or 36K miles. Can't imagine the dealer charging the customer for an oil change at 1K. There is a Courtesy Service at 90 days or 6K miles where the service department checks the fluids, but that is covered also. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer only said oil change after 5000 miles and varying RMP during the first 5000 miles. Are there any guidelines I should follow? How about additional oil change after 1000 miles? Thanks.

10,000 miles for the first oil change and all those filing. Look at the manual and across the internet. Do not do it early.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts