VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If they bring the GTD I think I'd rather have that over a Golf TDI, even if the mileage takes a few mpg hit. Things like bigger tires/wheels would probably take at least 1 mpg but I'd stick with 17" wheels.

In case anyone doesn't know what it is, it's a 2.0L gas 270hp AWD Golf.

·
Registered
21 Posts
GTD Spotted in AZ

I saw a red, 4 door GTD in Chandler, AZ (Near Phoenix) today. Not sure what it is doing here, since I thought it wasn't being sold in the US. Maybe out here in the desert for road testing???

·
Registered
175 Posts
They were probably doing desert testing but if that car comes to the US then I think I might be buying a new car!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I saw a red, 4 door GTD in Chandler, AZ (Near Phoenix) today. Not sure what it is doing here, since I thought it wasn't being sold in the US. Maybe out here in the desert for road testing???
Probably. Euro makers are well known for going to Death Valley, Canada, Africa, and the Arctic for testing.

But if they do bring the GTD then that would really open up room for a Jetta GTD or Passat TDI. Unfortunately, the smart thing to do is to bring the 1.6L TDI engine. 58 mpg in the Golf. That would have made too much sense though. Performance wouldn't be great but it would be a real hybrid competitor.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Both are pretty cool cars. Call me crazy but the current Japanese styling hasn't caught on with me. The Golf looks just right.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I just looked into this more, it's NOT confirmed. They are interested and want to bring it but straight from the top, the car is NOT confirmed. It probably will come as a R32 Golf replacement.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/07/new-vw-golf-r20-may-come-to-america/5#c22181353

First, we asked VW of America CEO Stefan Jacoby, who told us it was being studied and that no decision had yet been reached about the R20 for America. A little later, we talked with Andres Valbuena who happens to be the U.S. product planner for the Golf, GTI and New Beetle. That means he guides the direction of the Golf in this country. To give you some perspective on where Andres stands on this subject, his personal ride back home in Virginia is a 2004 edition R32 with an added blower, so word that Valbuena is pushing hard to get the R20 should come as no surprise

·
Registered
175 Posts
Why not? The 170hp engine could go into a Tiguan TDI. This would really spice up it's sales since I've never even seen a Tiguan on the roads. New Passat TDI anyone?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
US vehicle testing ... desert & high altitude.

VW/Audi USA operation has a presence in Arizona and in Colorado.

In Colorado there's an Audi "hideout" just west of Denver where VWs and Audi cars alike can be seen wearing Arizona distributor plates. From there the elevation can quickly go from 5280' to 10,000' in short order. Several of the German manufactures’ are often seen running around the region with cars wearing wires, laptops, camouflage, some new models or versions in plain sight. Once followed a parade of 10 or so black 911s through the mountains. Those Son's of Bitches made the 75mi trek to Vail taking no prisoners! Although I think the 911 mule parade allowed my shadow because I was another 911; a 1998 911 (993 C2S) Birds of a feather.

As far as the Golf Rs import progress to the USA ..... anyone's guess at this piont. From a marketing piont of view is this the best money spent? The fearless L-E-A-D-E-R of VW the USA distributor might ask of his/her marketing staff; WHY? Under the breathe of a staff member you can faintly hear "because Herr Piech" say's so...........

I would venture to say the Golf R verson's "to be or not to be" in N. America was discussed long ago - it's called asset/product /revenue/possiblity planning. I'm just saying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts