VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hopeful when VW announced they would bring the TDI Golf back to the US.
I was pleased that they actually did.

But it's priced so close to the Jetta- I'm wondering why choose the GOlf over the Jetta?

I'm thinking Sportwagen- it has a way more space than the Golf, but the same engine/transmission, yes?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I too am looking at the Golf - same engine/transmission across the board but the Golf has the sport suspension, 17" rims, and the revised body. Even though it's very close in price it has most of what I want except high bluetooth and leather interior.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an MK5 Jetta, an MK4 4 door golf and an MK4 2 door golf. My Jetta has more passenger space than either of my Golves (...keep in mind they are of two different "generations"...), but I like having a hatchback for hauling dogs in crates or loose, groceries, boxes, etc. So ask yourself if you need a hatchback type vehicle for lugging stuff around. Trunks just don't cut it for hauling tall things around.

And Golves are very fun... The MK6's are really nice looking too. I saw an MK6 GTI at the dealership by my house...very slick looking IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Read the buyer's FAQ linked through the home page. There are some interesting comparisons between the cars. Yes, they all have the same transmission/engine.

Everyone's needs are different but I would choose either a Golf or Wagon over the Jetta sedan. While the Golf doesn't have a trunk, it has about as much space and has the mk6 improvements. And like rookie said, the Golf has the sport additions like sport seats. It doesn't have high bluetooth, leather, or choice of interior colors.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was hopeful when VW announced they would bring the TDI Golf back to the US.
I was pleased that they actually did.

But it's priced so close to the Jetta- I'm wondering why choose the GOlf over the Jetta?

I'm thinking Sportwagen- it has a way more space than the Golf, but the same engine/transmission, yes?
The sportwagen will hold it's value the best because of supply-demand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ordered Golf Tdi

I ordered the Golf TDI on Sat. Oct. 9th after almost ordering the Jetta. I went to the dealer to buy a GTI since it had good handling and got good mileage next to sports cars. The fact that the Golf is 16 inches shorter than the Jetta really increases the number of parking spaces available in the city. But my wife wanted something more environmentaly friendly than the GTI. When we found out the Golf TDI was due in the near future and had the potential for a ride closer to the GTI than the Jetta we went with the Golf TDI. Marraige is a compromise. We were told the car should arrive at the dealer this week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All this MKVI golf discussion makes me want to go swap my Jetta for a Golf. Then I would have three.... Which could be misconstrued as nutty. ;)

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
If at issue is cubic space and utility, the hierarchy would start the with wagon I’d think, the hatchback in second place with the sedan body style in third. Although the hatchback & sedan are similarly positioned cubic space wise it’s the utility which favors the hatchback body style.

Man,, our MY06 Jetta sedan’s trunk is cavernous and reasonably utilitarian given its 40/60 rear seat fold down feature. A trailer hitch I’d installed makes for easy use of a small 5’x10’ snowmobile style trailer we picked up on www.Craigslist. The car/trailer arrangement is a straight up utility play used for fetching lumber, landscape materials, any oversized purchases, etc. I once trailer’ed a 350lbs Honda quad ATV machine 1500 miles (DEN to ATL) with no sweat and all the while with exemplar MPG figures. Gotta luv the 1.9 TDIs torque and its discriminating use of fuel. The newer 2.0 TDI is an Allstar I'm told.

Be certain to read up on the various stages of production maturity these VWs represent. Of the 3 model styles, i.e. sedan, hatchback and wagon, I believe the hatchback body style is the pure MkVI iteration. The MkVI wagon and MKVI sedan are amalgams. IMHO the 2010 MkVI Golf TDI 4dr is a buy. (Navi, sunroof, xenon, Dynaudio, etc) Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I sat in a 2010 Golf and the interior felt smaller than my '09 Sportwagen somehow. Looking at the specs, the wheelbase and interior dimensions are identical so I don't know how that can be. It just felt tighter to me, maybe the cloth interior or the sport seats. They were very form fitting, not sure if they're really comfortable or not.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I sat in a 2010 Golf and the interior felt smaller than my '09 Sportwagen somehow. Looking at the specs, the wheelbase and interior dimensions are identical so I don't know how that can be. It just felt tighter to me, maybe the cloth interior or the sport seats. They were very form fitting, not sure if they're really comfortable or not.
Was the seat all the way forward:D

From what I've read the Golf seats are the sport seats with bigger tighter side bolsters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts