VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, looking for some advise please.

Couple weeks ago my wife's DPF warning light came on. She is a tootle about town driver so surprised I haven't seen it sooner to be honest. I took it out on the motorway and blast on a-roads but still remains.

I borrowed a friends VCDS cable and found before blasting it on the motorway the actual filter reading was around 38g and after dropped to about 12g. The calculated value remained high at 38g. I have checked the readings occasionally and actual value goes up to around 28 and drops to 15 regularly. The calculated value don't seem to change.

I read a forum (not here) that suggested if the actual value was low and the calculated was high, try resetting the DPF values (as in a new DPF was installed). I tried that and it appears to have accepted it on VCDS with the miles since regen resetting to 0 miles but the calculated filter value is still 39.6.

The car recently had an issue with a worn out turbo actuator. Followed the forum guides here which allows me to fix that but took a couple months to get round to actually doing it. I'm thinking that due to that engine management it was preventing the regen from running hence why the calculated value is so high.

I tried to preform the forced regen while driving routine. Once I started it in VCDS drove at 2000-2500 rpm for about 5min then the engine management and coil light popped back on and limp mode. The error code is "P2463 - 000 - Excessive Soot Accumulation".

The forums I've read so far seem to suggest forcing a regen to clear this code. I was already doing a driving regen (well it was set to run so assume it was running). As the engine management light came on I thought it was best to stop, should I have carried on driving at high rev's? Could that warning have been because the regen was doing its stuff. The laptop died shortly after but I did notice the calculated value was still 39.6g. Is it even worth trying a regen whilst stationary? Not even sure I will be able to get the exhaust temps high enough in limp mode. If I clear the codes they immediately reappear.

Sorry in advance for so many questions, I would be happy with any advise.

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
VAG Error Code: 18895/23902/16856/5188/7388/009315

EOBD II Error Code: P2463

Fault Location:
Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) - Excessive Soot Accumulation

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Diesel Particulate Filter "full".

Possible Solutions:
Check Diesel Particulate Filter.
Perform Emergency Regeneration.

Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) check soot levels.

Special Notes:
Check the repair manual for any Technical Product Information (TPI)/Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) related to dealer level engine control module software updates and revised replacement parts.

The firmware in the Engine Control Unit (ECU) may very well prevent regeneration when other faults are present, for example this one:
16507 - P0123 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69) - Signal too High.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, managed to sort out the DPF warnings.

I tried the force regen whilst driving which didn't appear to be doing anything. The measuring blocks for exhaust temp after DPF were blank so I wasn't sure of a different way to check if it was even on. I stopped and next day was tinkering in VCDS. I mentioned above that I had tried resetting the DPF values, I had misread the instructions before and the engine should have been off. This reset the calculated value to 0g but set the measured to 39.6g. Took it for a drive and could see the measured filter values were quickly falling. I couldn't really get the car to high enough rev's to force active reg but could see the calculated filter value falling so proceeded driving slow till it reached 19g.

This still didn't clear the warnings and remained in limp. Getting bored set the force regen whilst driving. Boom, suddenly all 3 warnings lights (DPF, Coil, Engine) cleared and the car was back to life. I carried on driving above 2k/40mph for a good 30min and its all good now. The exhaust temps before filter were peaking above 600C so assume that the regen while driving was working which I read somewhere. The filter values finished around 2g by the time I stopped. Car been running sweet since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts