VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Golf MK5 can’t bleed brakes No Pedal

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  rorymk5 
#1 ·
Hi all, bit of a dilemma here with my 2.0 TDI golf. So here’s the story.

car has always had esp light on. Typical abs pump. Finally replaced the abs pump with a working second hand unit. Kept my module and only swapped the mechanical part. Tried manual bleeding and snapped last screw off RHR calliper.(lol typical) got a second hand replacement. also did discs/rotors and pads all round same time. Noticed LHR calliper seized so fixed that.

all fixed so went to bleed again but this time I thought I should try VCDS as abs pump was changed. Followed the steps and after some miscommunication with a friend he activated the the ABS pump while I had one bleed screw closed. The front right hand brake hose had burst. I assume it bulged and exploded. I head a bang. Next day got another hose.

now from here I have had no success getting a pedal at all. Tried multiple times manually and VCDS also with pressure bleeder. The Pedal will always go to the floor once engine is turned on. The pedal is solid with the engine turned off.

I thought maybe the brake master cylinder was ruined after the brake hose burst. Maybe some of that pressure go to the MC as well ? so today I swapped for a genuine VW working second hand MC.Bled again manually and VCDS and still no pedal!!

I get some brake once the pedal is almost at the floor or if I double pump the brake pedal but it’s mushy all the time.

Even though I was getting a clutch pedal and gears no problem, I thought I should try bleed the clutch as a last resort. Clutch pedal got stuck to floor and tried bleeding for ages. still no pedal from the clutch just air and a little bit of fluid come out the clutch nipple. Turns out you can’t bleed the clutch like brakes but I didn’t know this at the time and will do try fix the clutch pedal tomororow.

Question is even though the clutch was fine could there still be air in it that would cause my brake pedal to be soft ? As you can see I have tried different parts and methods to no avail. There also appears to be no leaks from the brakes.

Is there anything else that could of got damaged from the pressure that exploded the brake hose ? I’m really struggling at this point and need my car back on the road so I can make a living lol.

Sorry for the long read but I felt I had to explain it all. thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Almost 70 views and no reply. hmm.
Well I will keep it updated as I am a great believer in updating threads for the benefit of others.
After another evening reading through various forums. I stumbled upon this post. It’s very interesting and I have now out purchased a bleeder similar to a motive bleeder. We don’t get motive bleeders here in the U.K. but most importantly it’s rated to 2 bar. It’s on its way and I will indeed put 2 bar through while bleeding. Will update in a few days .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.