VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see this posted yet: The Golf GTD is official. For the US market: not yet. If there are enough Golf TDI sales than maybe. But I doubt it, you could probably make one out of parts though.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/03/27/officially-official-2010-volkswagen-golf-gtd-revealed-in-leipz/

Volkswagen this morning released all the official details on the new Golf GTD that will be debuting this weekend at the Leipzig Motor Show in Germany. The new hot diesel hatch revives a designation that originally appeared in 1982 but hasn't been seen in two decades. This time around, the high output 168 hp version of VW's 2.0-liter TDI four cylinder pushes the GTD to 62 mph in 8.1 seconds. On the EU combined test cycle, the GTD gets 44.4 mpg (U.S.) with CO2 emissions of 139 g/km.

Visually, the GTD is pretty much a new GTI except that gas powered car's red grille stripes are now finished in chrome to set it apart. Inside the car, the red contrasting stitching of the GTI is also replaced by light grey for the diesel model. Considering the handling capabilities of the GTD, the sport seats look like they can keep the driver in place for the job at hand. Unfortunately, there is still no confirmation that the GTD will be part of the 2010 U.S. Golf lineup. VW's press release is after the jump.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/03/27/officially-official-2010-volkswagen-golf-gtd-revealed-in-leipz/

·
Registered
45 Posts
168 hp isn't that much, turbo+chip+fueling and you're already there. If this thing had 200 hp then I'd be impressed.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The problem is emissions testing - if they had to use urea that would probably result in a pass but that costs money. It's the same reason why the Audi A3 is only getting the 2.0L engine with FWD instead of quattro. I've had Audis and like them but right now the A3's market is stuck between the hybrid crowd and the VW Golf and VW Sportwagen. If they put this engine into the A3 then they'd have something special. Right now the A3 is in a tight market spot and don't have anything major to set it apart from it's own TDI family.

In fact, that just gave me an idea, I am going to add it to the Audi A3 FAQ right now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
No way, VW does something for the consumer? I think the German corporate idea of the consumer is different. You buy what they give you, not, they make what you want. I'm not saying make all SUVs but they did make the Routan?

·
Registered
122 Posts
No way, VW does something for the consumer? I think the German corporate idea of the consumer is different. You buy what they give you, not, they make what you want. I'm not saying make all SUVs but they did make the Routan?
2nd. Just look at the supply of their TDIs vs the demand, until now it's always lagged big time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They woudl win over a lot of people with this thing. There's not hot hatch with this kind of utility and fuel economy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like the chrome grill more than the red grille. How much of a mileage hit do you get with the more powerful engine?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Does the Golf get those xenon headlights?
Those exact headlights? I'm pretty sure they are optinoal because the spec sheets say HID headlights with APS are optional. It's unlikely but the GTD headlights could be a little different (trim ring, strip of chrome, paint, etc.). That would cost more money but the front bumper chrome trim strips are different from the GTI so I don't want to stick foot-in-mouth...just yet :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
What are the chances that they are going to bring this to the US?
Buy a Golf TDI and the chances will be better :laugh: ...it's unlikely since VW would have to spend money to certify the engine, test it, etc., and the 170 hp engine might not pass emissions, etc., who knows...

·
Registered
142 Posts
OK, I think yes. The regular Golf GTI headlights are also painted black on the inside.
The HID are optional on the Golf. It looks like the Jetta doesn't get them optional in TDI. I wonder if you can still swap Jetta-Golf fronts since the basic platform is the same? Do you think they have identical bolt holes, etc? This way you could have a Getta TDI!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Saw this in a whatcar.com review:

The GTD shares the GTI’s sporty body styling and tartan seats, but not its sporty suspension.
I didn't know that. If true, like what's the point if all the GTD gives is window dressing?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The suspension is never going to be the same if the engine is different because the springs have to support a different weight.

It has the same class of suspension and is comparable in tuning. There's a normal, sport, and GTI/GTD class suspension. They might also be referring to the adjustable suspension on the GTI.

·
Registered
147 Posts
168 hp isn't that much, turbo+chip+fueling and you're already there. If this thing had 200 hp then I'd be impressed.

168HP is more than enough, imagine what you can do with the torque that it already has, or if you decide to mod after warranty, this car could easlily hit over 200HP no problem,, this is like having a MK4 (90Hp)with $3,500.00 in additional mods to reach 168HP, and remember this being a Golf is a lot lighter than a Jetta,,,,,, I drove an 09 Jetta and with 140 hp they pull really hard, so 168HP in a diesel is not the same like in a gasser.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts