VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm interested in buying a Golf BlueMotion but the dealer hasn't had any arrive yet. Can anyone tell me if this will be Common Rail or Pumpe Düse? I was told Pumpe Düse was phased out in 2007, is that true? I'm in Spain.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Pumpe duse was phased out. The new golfs will all be common rail.

For once, the US is getting the same technology that Europe is getting! The common rail engine is all new so even in Spain it is new. I do know that the US is getting the Bluemotion Jetta/Bora in a few months, don't know about Spain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it talks about Pumpe Düse in the same Golf brochure as it talks about BlueMotion. Maybe the brochure is out of date but it can't be that out of date because the BlueMotion Golf is brand new. How can I be sure it will be CR?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Take a look at this.

If the engine cover looks like that you are getting a BlueMotion. Of course it could be different on the Golf/Rabbit, but this should be correct.

If the engine cover looks like below, you are getting a pumpe duse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to this brochure I just found the BlueMotion uses a PD engine. I haven't seen any pictures of the motor to confirm this but I looked at some pictures of the Passat BlueMotion and the motor is the same as the PD picture you posted.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Maybe they meant rolling phaseouts. The pumpe duse hasn't been on sale in the US since the 2006 model but they had plenty in 2007. Maybe they are still selling old 2007 models for a while?

D

·
0 Posts
He's right, the passat bluemotion has that engine cover. I think it was still pumpe duse, it just used the bluemotion exhaust particulate filters with the pumpe duse. Bluemotion is not common rail, it's the exhuast filter and some other things. In the US, bluemotion cars will be common rail only, in Europe they have had bluemotion cars without common rail.

The polo bluemotion has one that looks similar but has 3 "runners"

If I were to guess, I would say that the golf engine cover will look like the top one if it is common rail. In Europe, they had a few engine choices in diesel, the US only had 1 per model so their engines all looked the same. So look for the top engine cover if you want common rail, look for the bottom one if you want pumpe duse. Bluemotion in Europe doesn't always go with common rail, as I understand it.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The PD is as reliable as any other car. The PD was used in Europe for far longer than in the US and has proven to be reliable. The only thing you need to be aware of is keeping the fuel filter clean. This is true for any diesel.

And also to use the correct oil - this is VW spec 505.01 506.01 507.00 . This is because the PD puts a lot of stress on the camshaft and it needs special oil to prevent excess wear. If it gets the correct oil then it's fine.

However, if I were you, I would wait for the common rail cars to come out. They will give more power and cleaner emissions than the PD. They should also give better fuel economy. If you can't wait, then you are going with a tested technology. Perhaps you can buy the older PD car at a discount, if you can save money on the purchase of the car, then it may be worth more than any fuel savings you can get by waiting for the common rail car.

Looking into it, for US cars, bluemotion = common rail. For Europe, bluemotion = added emissions scrubbers, can be pumpe duse or common rail. The passat and polo have been out for a while with "bluemotion" but it was used on the PD in Europe market cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking into it, for US cars, bluemotion = common rail. For Europe, bluemotion = added emissions scrubbers, can be pumpe duse or common rail.
Are you saying the US common rail model doesn't have the particle trap in the exhaust, or am I misreading your post? As for the emissions being cleaner is there any proof of this? Also things are a bit different in the States because if the PD motor has never been sold there it would seem mad to tool up the new production line for it even if Volkwagen were going to phase it out solely for economic reasons, rather than due to emission problems (which may or may not exist). Europe on the other hand is already tooled for the PD motor and it exceeds the current emission standards so there's no hurry to switch (which might mean the PD motor keeps being produced here for at least another year).

Re: Common Rail and emissions:
I have an Opel 2.2 DTI (circa 2002) which is Common Rail and that puts out plenty of soot on the transition to full power. It's always been like that and it was emission tested a few months ago and passed without any problem. So CR - DPF = lots of visible emissions.

·
Registered
278 Posts
This should clarify:, in chronological order, oldest to newest

VW pumpe duse is introduced in europe, date unknown, but years before the US.

VW pump duse is introduced in the US, 2004, discontinued in 2006.

Bluetec is introduced in europe, this is emissions equipment and recalibrating the ecu to use the emissions equipment.

Today.

In the future, date should be this summer, common rail is introduced in the US, in the US, all common rail VWs will have bluetec emissions.

Common rail has better control over the fuel injection, when combined with bluetec emissions, it has the best emissions. It hasn't been sold on VWs in the US yet but I think they're introducing it at about the same time in US and Europe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've just read in Auto Bild that the Golf VI 1.9 TDI is going to be Pumpe Duse so it looks as though in Europe this motor isn't going to be phased out any time soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The car has arrived now and yes it is a PD.

By the way the common rail for the USA is not going to have bluetec; it's going to have an absorber cat that doesn't require a reactor agent.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hmm...that's strange, we are definitely not going to have PD anymore. I even went to the dealer to ask about the car and they gave me a booklet, it's not going to be PD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts