VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post so take it easy on me.
I think I’m posting this in the right section but if not, please inform me. I search around as well as posted to the FB groups and didn’t find the answer I was looking for. Might have over looked it digging through all the posts. So if so, please excuse me.

Was having a front end vibration noise during take off(acceleration) until about 2000 rpms(which is where I shift). After that, it was smooth and didn’t make vibrate sound while cruising at constant speed. Also don’t vibrate at cruising speeds. I couldn’t feel the vibration in the steering wheels or peddles like you typically would if you were having front end/suspension issues.
I figured it was an exhaust rattle. Car has a new downpipe and I wondering if the previous owner hasn’t installed new hangers when he installed the downpipe.
Bought all new exhaust hanger mounts and got those installed.

I hope this would fix the issue.
Though it did eliminate some of the noise, it didn’t completely fix it.
After this I had to take a 1000 mile trip to help a good friend of mine and a fellow MK4 TDI Golf owner with some concrete work at his new house.
He drove the car and figured it was control arm bushing or something and ordered me a “Stage 2” front end kit from URO which had control arm bushing in it. It arrived a week before I got home. So it would be there and ready when I got back.

So a few weeks later I get home and take my car to the shop. They put it up on the lift and start working. The tech had me come out into the shop and showed me all my control arm bushing were good. He said he didn’t want to needless charge me for work I didn’t need.
Then he showed me a boot on the CV joint where it was slightly leaking. He said he filled me back with grease and only charged me $10 for that.

As I was leaving the parking lot, thinking my car was fixed, I heard that vibration again.

Not knowing what to do, I decided to just drive it as I had to prepare for work.
I continued to drive it and the situation got worse.

Now when I drive, it makes the noise even when I’m at cruising speed with the cruise control on.
It use to not do that.

Talked to some other TDI guys and they said they would check it out. One drive it and instantly said I needed axles.
No biggie. Said I would go to autozone the next day and grab a set.
Then he informed me that those typically didn’t hold up and said I need to order OEM or Raxle Axles.
I looked up prices and my jaw dropped.
I don’t have the money for that right now due to me losing hours because of Covid-19.

He said I might be able to save the axles if I just replace the CV Joint because that’s what fail on these anyways.

So I was looking and I haven’t came across any OEM CV Joints.
The only ones I found were by 2 manufacturers that I have never heard of.
One being Metelli and the other being GKN.
But that seems to be all that’s out there.

So I’m wondering if anyone has used either of these brands of CV Joints?
Which brand is the best to go with?
What was your experience with them?
If they will last?

Is there a better alternative out there?

Thanks in advance!
Just trying to get my car back on the road safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Matt, TDI

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

Car spec now shows not for all members.

Myturbodiesel moving on

Release Notes

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

Reactions: Matt.TDI

·
Super Moderator
VW Jetta TDI Mk5 2005.5 BRM
28 Posts
I would first jack up each wheel and check if any of them are 'wobbly' - small possibility that it's your wheel bearing(s), although noise normally starts above 80 kmph and then gets worse..., but maybe
Pulled something like this on myself once. Heard a bad noise, got louder and louder, jacked it up and it was just a loose wheel. Turned out I hadn't bolted it back on tight enough 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would first jack up each wheel and check if any of them are 'wobbly' - small possibility that it's your wheel bearing(s), although noise normally starts above 80 kmph and then gets worse..., but maybe
Mine starts in the lower range. Like low rpms when I engage the clutch until 1700-2200 rpms it stops.

But lately it has been doing it at cruising speed which it didn’t do before.

·
Registered
2000 Golf A4 01M,Stage1 Rocketchip, 5 light mod,euro headlight switch,front fog lights, EGR delete
13 Posts
First post so take it easy on me.
I think I’m posting this in the right section but if not, please inform me. I search around as well as posted to the FB groups and didn’t find the answer I was looking for. Might have over looked it digging through all the posts. So if so, please excuse me.

Was having a front end vibration noise during take off(acceleration) until about 2000 rpms(which is where I shift). After that, it was smooth and didn’t make vibrate sound while cruising at constant speed. Also don’t vibrate at cruising speeds. I couldn’t feel the vibration in the steering wheels or peddles like you typically would if you were having front end/suspension issues.
I figured it was an exhaust rattle. Car has a new downpipe and I wondering if the previous owner hasn’t installed new hangers when he installed the downpipe.
Bought all new exhaust hanger mounts and got those installed.

I hope this would fix the issue.
Though it did eliminate some of the noise, it didn’t completely fix it.
After this I had to take a 1000 mile trip to help a good friend of mine and a fellow MK4 TDI Golf owner with some concrete work at his new house.
He drove the car and figured it was control arm bushing or something and ordered me a “Stage 2” front end kit from URO which had control arm bushing in it. It arrived a week before I got home. So it would be there and ready when I got back.

So a few weeks later I get home and take my car to the shop. They put it up on the lift and start working. The tech had me come out into the shop and showed me all my control arm bushing were good. He said he didn’t want to needless charge me for work I didn’t need.
Then he showed me a boot on the CV joint where it was slightly leaking. He said he filled me back with grease and only charged me $10 for that.

As I was leaving the parking lot, thinking my car was fixed, I heard that vibration again.

Not knowing what to do, I decided to just drive it as I had to prepare for work.
I continued to drive it and the situation got worse.

Now when I drive, it makes the noise even when I’m at cruising speed with the cruise control on.
It use to not do that.

Talked to some other TDI guys and they said they would check it out. One drive it and instantly said I needed axles.
No biggie. Said I would go to autozone the next day and grab a set.
Then he informed me that those typically didn’t hold up and said I need to order OEM or Raxle Axles.
I looked up prices and my jaw dropped.
I don’t have the money for that right now due to me losing hours because of Covid-19.

He said I might be able to save the axles if I just replace the CV Joint because that’s what fail on these anyways.

So I was looking and I haven’t came across any OEM CV Joints.
The only ones I found were by 2 manufacturers that I have never heard of.
One being Metelli and the other being GKN.
But that seems to be all that’s out there.

So I’m wondering if anyone has used either of these brands of CV Joints?
Which brand is the best to go with?
What was your experience with them?
If they will last?

Is there a better alternative out there?

Thanks in advance!
Just trying to get my car back on the road safely!

You haven't told us which side the vibration is coming from. Before spending more money needlessly check the bearing nut torque preload, there's a Definite procedure for this. On my 2000 tdi with an auto trans its around 180 ft ibs. Lug nuts are 100 lbs. Yes OEM is expensive, GKN is good but its not OEM, whatever you buy make sure it comes with a new boot and grease. Also while your in the wheelwell check and tighten every other nut you see. Most home mechanics who own VW`s use the Bentleys repair manuals, 2 volume set about $100 new probably cheaper new and used on fleabay, Try Worldparts.com, Rockauto.com for for parts etc. Both are good parts sources, huge inventories with wide price//quality ranges. Tell us how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You haven't told us which side the vibration is coming from. Before spending more money needlessly check the bearing nut torque preload, there's a Definite procedure for this. On my 2000 tdi with an auto trans its around 180 ft ibs. Lug nuts are 100 lbs. Yes OEM is expensive, GKN is good but its not OEM, whatever you buy make sure it comes with a new boot and grease. Also while your in the wheelwell check and tighten every other nut you see. Most home mechanics who own VW`s use the Bentleys repair manuals, 2 volume set about $100 new probably cheaper new and used on fleabay, Try Worldparts.com, Rockauto.com for for parts etc. Both are good parts sources, huge inventories with wide price//quality ranges. Tell us how it goes.
I just noticed that as well. Coming from passengers side mostly. I occasionally hear it from the drivers side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts