VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a Golf! I could be wrong, but back in the early 2000s I swear I remember looking at some Golfs on the VW lot that had 60mpg on the window sticker. They were 2dr models with a stick and few options but they got 60mpg. Am I wrong, because I can't seem to find any used ones that claim that? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
They never had 60 mpg on the new car sticker. LOL, I'll put a sticker that says it flies, grows your hair back, and adds 10 years to your life if I'm a used car dealer. The older ones could have gotten over 60 mpg under optimal conditions when hypermililng. That means a car in good working order and condition, stick shift, not carrying heavy cargo, not winterized fuel (has lower energy content), and driving very calmly. The new EPA ratings lower the old ratings too.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The 99-2003 2 door Golf 5 speed has the best FE potential. It's the lightest. The ALH engine had the best FE because emissions standards technology is lighter, the engine very efficient, and pretty simple. The 5 speed will always get better FE than an auto and is lighter too.

However, some cars just get better fuel economy than others. Maybe some have better wheel bearings, better tires, some have tighter engines from the factory or after all these miles, and of course, some have better drivers ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ditto. The official EPA rating was 49 mpg highway although you might get up to 60. You could also get manual windows and no sunroof in a 2 door golf. That saves some weight too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it sounds like there can be a lot of variation. All things be equal, how much would I potentially lose with a four door?

Also every time I tell someone that I'm looking into one of these cars everyone tells me not to do it.... That these cars are a maintenance nightmare. Is that true?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I'd say VWs, in general, don't have as good reliability as some other brands. If you get a well maintained car expect to spend money on regular maintenance. If you get an abused and neglected car, expect to spend money on regular maintenance plus catch up maintenance. Look through the FAQ for the new owner/buying checklist for a4 cars (the body style type) and learn what to look for.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Plenty of 4 doors and wagons get high mpg. Tires would have a bigger effect but the eco-tires always get bad reivews for being hard riding or noisy or whatever. Cargo weight would have a much higher effect on MPG.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts