VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi! I have a VW gold 1,9 TDI DSG 2007.

In winter engine stops at times rather randomly. It was inspected twice at mechanic and a fuel pump and fuel filter was changed, but unfortunatelly it didnt help. It is starting up normally, but at some point engine just stalls. Sometimes after several attempts it is possible to start the engine again, but it is extremely anoying that the car cannot be trusted.

It seems that the problem is related to cold weather (it appears at app 14 degrees F) and it only happens when the engine has reached its working temperature. The engine has only stalled when car is stopped in a traffic or at traffic lights.

Any thought of what could be likely cause of this issue would be highly appreciated!

Thank you,

Rolands

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Either you are getting air starvation or there's a wiring problem. If you feel it's a fuel problem, the only big reason for the fuel injectors to cut fuel are if the big round connector or other wiring has cracked or another ground is corroded so the connection is poor. I don't know why it would be related to cold weather and why it only happens after the engine is warm. That is very strange.

Do you have any other clues/error codes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have any specific alarms or error codes.

Actually I do not know how to get error codes.

did another test ride. Indeed - the problem only occures when the engine reaches its work temperature. After it cools down by some 20 degrees it can be started again. It is possible to trick it into not stopping by extra push on accelerator when the engine starts stalling.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
In the older cars this problem would be related to relay 109 which controlled the ECU power. This was a relay that overheated and resulted in random engine stalling which let you start after the relay cooled down. The clue was that the glow plug light did not turn on. Perhaps there is a similar cause on your Golf 6?

To get error codes you have to plug in a diagnostic computer into the OBD2 port under the steering column area. This is essential to diagnosis. If you don't have a VCDS you can go to the dealer. There are generic vag-com cables on ebay with freeware obd2 software that can also pull the codes, make sure it works on can bus diagnostic cars, I don't know if the generic ones work on can bus cars though since I have a genuine VCDS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It appeared that the guys in the first service I turned to mixed up fuel hoses when changing the fuel pump. It took a while to figure out the problem, but once it was solved car is up and running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts