VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be really cool to have a toggle switch to keep my glow plugs on for a couple more seconds when I need them. The problem is not when it's really cold, because they stay on longer then, the problem is when it's only moderately cold, especially if the car has been running and then off for a couple hours. The plugs flash on and off so quickly they hardly do anything and it cranks and cranks. It may have been in the (not working) technical section, but does anyone know if there's a way to wire a toggle switch to keep the glow plugs on? It's a MK4 with ALH.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's my understanding that the plugs stay on for a while after the light goes off. You can use VCDS to prolong the glow time.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for that. I just saw a rather minimalist video on YouTube that showed the steps to take, but without any explanation of how to dial in the timing. He set it for 7.3 seconds, which seems very long to me. I'll try some various values in there to get it where I want it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's pretty much what you have to do, fiddle with the unitless number until you get it where you want it. You may be able to find further instructions at ross-tech.com.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All right, I did the job today, it was very easy. It's set to around 5 seconds now, so that should be enough for even the coldest days, or those pesky in-between times when it's been cooling off for just a few hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts