VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 'emissions service workshop' light came on yesterday morning. Scanned it last night and VCDS reported and 'open in glow plug #4 circuit'. I reset the fault, cycled it a few times, no more problem. This morning, still no problem. So the question, do I remove the glow plug and 'look' at it? What to look for? Is this a sign of future trouble for the GP and I should just replace it now? I will start with the electrical connection first. Advise would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I'd wait and see if the same fault code returns. If not, don't worry about it. If you're out of warranty and the code returns I'd clean the glow plug contacts and clear the code. If it returns I'd probably switch glow plugs around on cylinders and see if the fault follows the glow plug or stays on the same cylinder. If the fault follows the glow plug to another cylinder, I'd preplace the glow plug. Hard to say if its the wiring harness or the actual glow plug right now.

dweisel

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well crap. Light came back on. Anybody know the torque for the GPs?

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
On my son's 09 Beetle we had a glow plug fault code and it would always return after clearing it.I first cleaned the glow plug wiring harness conections with Deoxit. Didn't help. I switched plugs around and it did follow the glow plug and the code was back. I went ahead and replaced all 4 glow plugs. The fault came back on the original cylinder. I then opted to replace the glow plug wiring harness. It was sort of a pain as I had to chase the wiring harness clear back to the firewall because I didn't want to splice the wires in the harness as some do. If I remember right I had to remove the battery,battery shelf,and maybe the air cleaner box. All was well for one day! Code came back on. I just decided to run it that way. Then after several months the CEL went off and has not faulted since.Thats been a couple of years now.

Sorry can't help you out on the glow plug compatibility or torque spec.

dweisel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glow Plug Alternative Supplier

hello all, I have a good solution to the glow plug recall, An alternative supplier is a company named Le-Mark. They manufacture Glow Plugs and Igniters. The difference is they used multilayers of Conductive/Nonconductive Ceramics which eliminates the need of a metal center wire. Their heat range is same and is a great alternative if you want the high heat of a ceramic glow plug. You can contact [email protected] or go to their web site www.le-mark.cn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts