VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small chip in the windshield, does insurance go up if you claim a new windshield? I have glass insurance but if it's cheap and easy to replace then I don't want to raise the insurance premium since it's already pretty high.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I don't think it does, that's what insurance is for. A new windshield is pretty cheap, I think if you wanted to pay out of pocket it should be about $300. It depends on what your deductible is too.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it'll raise my premium then I will just pay for it myself and I don't want to call the insurance company so there's a record. Any specific brand of windshield? I don't want to end up looking through coke bottle glasses, LOL.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Try lowering your coverage or raising your dedductable,, this is the quick and easy way to reduce your insurance. Shop around too. Progressive sucks ,I called for a quote and they had slipped in a clause that noone else in the house could drive the car or else they were not covered!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Generic glass is fine. You should be more worried about the quality of the install and them breaking trim when installing the windshield. A bad install can cause leaks or stress cracks. If you're really worried, wait a week and tell them you think you have a leak and want them to pressure test the windshield. Don't let them just tear out the new windshield with another one.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Be careful, if they make you sign something that states what damage is on your car, make sure you read it! They can mess up your car during installation, if you just sign it blindly you're SOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts