VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this forum and am really jazzed. I need to change the timing belt on my 04 passat and was stressing because the generic manuals don't have much info about the tdi motor. Great article on how to do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the hot tip about the balance shaft - I love this car and plan to keep it a day after forever. Can I substitute a 6mm allen wrench for the camshaft lock pin? I can make one but why bother if there's already something in my tool box? Also, just for what it's worth, I talked to my local VW service guy and he said the harmonic balancer bolts were one time use since thsy are stretch bolts, but that the tensioner and idler pulley nuts are not since they are just nuts, that the stress in on the bolts. You are a lot smarter than me on this stuff so I just throw it out there for your response. I like your idea of blue Loc-Tite on the bolts. Thanks for all the awesome help!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
No, use the back of a drill bit if you want to substitute the pin. Same diameter.

Off the top of my head, the service manual doesn't say to replace some of the nuts but they're included in kits so why not?

HB bolts are single use and often strip. I swear, the bolts are made out of butter!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the timimg belt using the diy procedure and it was a life saver. I tensioned the belt according to the instructions and turned the engine over manually a couple times. The tension was then low, so I reset it using the procudure. The car starts and runs fine, but when I have checked the belt tension a couple times since, it is always on the high side of the window. Is this normal? If not, can I readjust the tension with the upper timing belt cover removed, or do I need to take it all apart and do it with the lock pins in etc.?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts