VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having a 2010 Golf on order since early December I have given up. Since I have never owned a TDI and have always wanted to own one, I have also been looking for used. I found a 2004 PD Jetta for about 40% of the cost.

I now have the advantage of searching the aftermarket for the ability to customize to my spec. If you start with 40% of the price you can double the cost and still save 20%. Of course VW doesn't sell a new car but VW does not appear interested in selling a new car to this author.

It seems to me that the market represented in this forum is severely under served. It also seems to me that the bits and pieces that VW declines to provide us should be available, at least on earlier models, via foreign dealerships and/or OEM suppliers. Back in the day, I used to buy Genuine parts from authorized dealers both in the US and in Asia for Japanese vehicles for re-sale to repair shops. I didn't make a lot of money on some of these parts but I generated a lot of traffic and other sales. I will be looking to find these upgrades for my Jetta from Canada, Mexico, and Germany. As well as the Internet of course.

This forum has been a great source of information and inspiration. So far I am having a lot of fun and learning a ton.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hear you -- I've had an A3 TDI on order since early October and won't get it for another 3 weeks. At least VW is about to open a US plant in Chattanooga, TN -- if they're smart, they'll do some TDI production there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Careful...if you mod the 2004 too much you'll end up selling it to buy a 2010 Golf to mod :) Check out oemplus.com, they have lots of hard to find Euro parts. They're more expensive though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
After having a 2010 Golf on order since early December I have given up. Since I have never owned a TDI and have always wanted to own one, I have also been looking for used. I found a 2004 PD Jetta for about 40% of the cost.

I now have the advantage of searching the aftermarket for the ability to customize to my spec. If you start with 40% of the price you can double the cost and still save 20%. Of course VW doesn't sell a new car but VW does not appear interested in selling a new car to this author.

It seems to me that the market represented in this forum is severely under served. It also seems to me that the bits and pieces that VW declines to provide us should be available, at least on earlier models, via foreign dealerships and/or OEM suppliers. Back in the day, I used to buy Genuine parts from authorized dealers both in the US and in Asia for Japanese vehicles for re-sale to repair shops. I didn't make a lot of money on some of these parts but I generated a lot of traffic and other sales. I will be looking to find these upgrades for my Jetta from Canada, Mexico, and Germany. As well as the Internet of course.

This forum has been a great source of information and inspiration. So far I am having a lot of fun and learning a ton.
Have you tried going with a different dealer or calling VWOA for some type of support?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel your frustration.. None of the dealers near me seem to want to sell what they do get for less than a 3-5k markup. So i started searching around and i found a VERY low mileage 2000 Jetta TDI (love the MKIV) in almost new condition for about 20% of what I was willing to pay for a 2010 Golf.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts