VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone this is my first post here so be nice to me! I drive a 2010 TDI Jetta Sedan and love it. My girlfriend has a 2001 Jetta GL (gasser) with the beloved 01M tranny in it. At 130,000 miles, the tranny is doing what 01Ms do at that age. She has never had the fluid changed (after all its "lifetime" ) and it is throwing a code. I am going to VCDS it tmrw and see what the code is but the question is, do I change the fluid or leave it. I have heard folks say no never change it at this many miles, and then more folks say it won't hurt it one bit. If I change it, I am thinking of going with the Mobil 1 full synthetic and following the Bentley procedures to a T and crank that little pressure ratchet thing three to four turns only... Seems the best idea from what reading in the forums I have done on the ratchet wheel and the 01M

Anyone want to chime in on this? Thoughts to leave it alone , change it, deviate from the Bentley procedures etc?

I will never hear the end of it if I change the fluid and the thing is worse or never drives again. Though she would have to get an A3 TDI to replace it :D

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
130,000 is higher but not absurdly high. I would personally change it and hope for the best. Could it slip or leak? Maybe. The real question is, are you going to be better off? If it dies, a reman from VW is best bet over used.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
01M Tranny Woes

Well, pulled two codes on it P1296 (coolant temp) and P0730 (gear ratio) being stupid and jumping the gun I replaced both sensors, reset the fuzzy logic and gave the car back to her. I am one that always says use DTCs as a start first, and go from there before you go buying new sensors but I did....

New speed sensor and temp sensor

So here is my thoughts from reading around here, Kansascitytdi's page and the vortex:

The valve body is worn out = higher temps (P1296( , high temps = missed shifts = P0730.

Before I go replacing the t-stat and continue my quest to shoot into the dark, I figured I would check to see if any gurus on here had any other thoughts.

My girlfriend is trading it in soon, just trying to nurse a few extra miles out of it before she trades it.

If it is the valve body worn out (mileage correction 145,000 no fluid change ever and Girlfriend is not sprining for a new Valvebody...), the only thing I can think of short of a new valve body is going to be doing the "Kerma Mod" but only 3-4 clicks, change the fluid and cross my fingers.

I am not overly familiar with the wiring on the Jetta and if it was any other system other then the 01M id be thinking wiring problem but since its a tranny code and a temp code , I am thinking its not a wiring issue, none the less I am thinking a day with a multi meter and some contact cleaner + dialectic grease would not hurt

Anyones thoughts on my plan of attack???

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

VAG Error Code: 17704
EOBD II Error Code: P1296

Fault Location:
Engine cooling system - malfunction

Possible Cause:
Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor (G62).
Engine coolant thermostat.

VAG Error Code: 00652
EOBD II Error Code: P0730

Fault Location:
Transmission Shift-Range Controller - Incorrect gear ratio

Possible Cause:
Wiring.
Transmission range (TR) sensor/switch.
Shift solenoids (SS).
Transmission mechanical fault.

If you want any help with error codes then use my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/index2.html ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts