VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got a 2011 jetta tdi on order; the problem is: it's due in soon and I've got a long trip planned, soon. Long as in about 750 miles one way. Now, I don't want to get the car one day and drive it that far the next. But I was thinking if I had a week or so to get familiar with it, drive a bit and perhaps find any obvious problems, then I ought to be ok.

I read over the engine break-in howto. The trip is almost all interstate; but I figure it's easy enough to lay off the cruise control and vary the rpm a bit (manual transmission).

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies
I read over the engine break-in howto.
So have you had a new engine fitted then?

Yes I would lay off the cruise for a while just vary the load. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I put 300 miles on mine the day I bought it ( bought from dealer across the state ). You'll vary the rpms plenty on a highway trip, really it is a great way to break the engine in. You'll get plenty of load, passing or slowing, and entering and exiting the highway. If you really want, downgear it and just enjoy the ride. Stop and going the engine with short trips for a week is much much worse.

Just make SURE the dealer fills it with diesel. mine was all set to put gas in mine and I caught it....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I made a trip to New Orleans from Cincinnati (800+ miles) only 3 weeks after I got my car. I was a little afraid to put that many miles on the car so soon, but everything worked great. The 3 weeks prior to the trip I did do the break-in method for about 1000-1500 miles I think. No problems whatsoever on the car so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for helping me with my own little paranoia (well, this one, at least). Despite encouraging information a few weeks ago, it doesn't look like it will actually be an issue. :( On the bright side, I ought to have one waiting in the lot for me when I get back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts