VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Does anyone know when exactly the VWs sold in the Canadian market began getting assembled in Brazil? Specifically, it's the Golf TDI that I am interested in. This is very easy to determine from the serial number. If it begins in 'W', its from Germany; if it begins in '9', it's from Brazil.

For instance, my 2000 Golf was made in Germany but others I've looked at in the 2003 model year come from Brazil. I have not looked at any 2001 or 2002 cars.

I have also driven a 2010 Golf City (non TDI), which was also of Brazilian origin. The 2010 was notably lighter, cheaper feeling and driving. It felt a lot less solid than my 2000, and both the seats and dash seemed to have been made of lower quality materials.

On a related note, is there any difference in reliability or build quality that anyone has noted between the German-built and Brazilian-built cars?

Thanks for your insights.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I don't think it makes a difference where the car was built, rather the components and design, which come from all over the world.

I'm surprised that you say the Golf city is so cheaper since it's basically a facelifted mk4:dunno I've only seen the outside of them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Brazilians have been building VWs for many years. Like mentioned before, it's the design that matters not final assembly location. My family has owned many Brazilian VWs and they all were extremely reliable...they were being driven in Brazilian roads by crazy Brazilian drivers so that's saying something!! Actually, most people building VWs in brazil or argentina are of German descendent anyway, so it's like it was built in Germany.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts