VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get some insight on an engine swap. Putting a 1.9 ALH into a similar model gasoline powered vehicle. Up here in northern PA the salt and road conditions do a number on any vehicle, I have a 2000 Golf TDI whose body is getting very road weary. By the end of this winter I will need to do something about it. I have about 305,000 miles on the engine, it does have some oil leaks here and there but if I pulled it I would change out the gaskets, seals etc. Has anyone ever traded a gas for a diesel engine before in a 2000-03 VW? What problems did you encounter? Any advice? I swapped out a 78 Rabbit diesel engine to a 1980 carberated gas model but things have changed a lot since those days.
I thought it would be easier to find a Jetta or Golf gas model with a bad engine, there are a lot more of them out there. Is it even worth the effort with that many miles on the engine? Are the transmissions the same? I have never owned a gasoline powerd VW before other than the donor body on the 1980 Rabbit.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Transmission gear ratios are different for the gasoline and diesel models, so you'll need to transplant both... I would first check with your State motor authority to see if this is even permitted... I know it's been done with B4V models (far fewer of those left in North America) but haven't heard of someone doing it with an A4... You'll also need to move over the wiring harness, ECU, instrument cluster, exhaust, etc...

How bad can the body on your car be? This model uses galvanized steel, so most corrosion problems can probably be fixed...

All the best,

Yuri

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I wouldn't build a car that you can buy. Also, the prices of used mk4 are low enough that it's not worth the time unless there's something really special about the car or engine.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate your thoughts. I've been following this forum for some time and find the topics discussed here informative and helpful. I would probably never have considered swapping engines and fuel sources if I hadn't done it years ago with the rabbits. Keep up the good advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you do the swap. I want to swap out a gas for a diesel on a 2000 Jetta wondering what I will come up against. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts