VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gifted a 2012 Passat from a friend of mine because her son put gas in the tank. It wasn't worth fixing to her, but I figure if I can pull it off for just the cost of parts, I should be okay. I've been looking through the multiple writeups on timing belt a HPFP replacement, but I was curious about a few things. Is the HPFP timed? Doesn't it have to be installed in a certain position relative to the crankshaft? Also, how would someone suggest cleaning the fuel tank out? I want to make sure I have everything crystal clear before I go tearing into this huge project. With as expensive as the parts are, I don't have much of a room for error. I would much rather get this car running and happy than just scrapping it, much too nice to do that to the poor thing.

Thanks all! I look forward to your input.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Which distance was the Passat approximately driven with gas in?
If it was driven until the engine died, forget the following.
Else, perhaps it is avoidbale to do the complete parts exchange story.
Bleed out the gas completely, fill the tank with diesel, and prime the high pressure part with diesel.
Potentially you need to remove the rail for bleeding it.

For the case the high pressure pump was run with gas, it is expectedly damaged, and the injectors are damaged, too.
The rail still might be cleaned.
Replacing the high pressure pump means that it has to be aligned with the crankshaft.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would do a formal introduction in the intro section, otherwise you'll probably get scolded... :(

The car probably has the CKRA code engine, where the HPFP is driven by the timing belt - so yes, proper timing is required.

It would be useful to share some additional info about the car: mileage, type of transmission, known details about service history (oil changes, Timing Belt work - if any etc...). Most importantly, was the car started with gasoline in the fuel system? Do you know of any damage resulting from that?

Here is the link to info about the Passat (CJAA is similar): https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/nms-vw-passat-tdi-diy-and-faq-index/
And about the HPFP removal for this type of engine: https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/hpfp-and-common-rail-audi-vw-2-0l-crd-tdi-engine/
Here is a link to the timing belt info - Passat is similar: https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/cbea-cjaa-vw-jetta-golf-jsw-tdi-timing-belt-removal-part-1/
Maybe you'll do a writeup specific to the Passat - that would be great!
Text Font Line

This will give you an idea of the kind of work involved. Typically the work requires some specialized tools you can borrow or buy, quite a bit of learning and research - and patience + a methodical approach. I believe there are many contributors to this forum from Illinois, so I think there are good resources relatively close to where you are... Good luck with your project.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was driven until it died unfortunately..... it’s a 2012 with 200K miles and a DSG. I assume maintenance was done on time religiously. It was not a buyback vehicle, and it still had the plastic keys for the glovebox. So whoever owned it previously must’ve loved it. I was planning on replacing the HPFP, replacing the whole rail, and the injectors. It’ll be quite the interesting project! It’ll give me a reason to do the timing belt as well, and I’ll definitely try to document and keep track of what all I do, I’m sure it would help someone in the future.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
You know the cost for the parts?
The high pressure pump is surely the candidate for replacement. I would regard the othe parts as optional, with ranking down everything that can be rinsed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just filled up my 2012 passat with gas and ran it till started sputtering and almost died. I tried to start it after and now have attempt to fix it. I was wondering what the outcome was and if you were able to fix your car?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts