VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a frost heater and I've read that you are supposed to use g11 coolant if that is what it came from the factory with and is labeled on the coolant reservoir.

However, in the FAQ it says to replace g11 with g12, so now I'm confused. What's the benefit of going to the new stuff? I've got the green in there so I'm gonna do a complete flush.

thanks for you input.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Hi,
Never mix it. Even if the label on the bottle says yo can. Even do not mix G12 and G12+. I can tell you from experience what it may cost you:
- replacement of locking covers at the cylinder block, because of corrosion and resulting leakage. The corrosion protection fails with the mixed cooling liquid. For the repair you have to disintegrate your engine to a level where the locking covers become accessible. Typically there are four below the exhaust manifold.
- replacement of the heat exchanger, because it gets clogged by mud created from the reaction of the two coolants with each other. For that you have to disintegrate the whole dashboard.
- replacement of the radiator, also because of getting clogged.
Use only one type of coolant, one single brand. Rinse the cooling system very carefully with clean water if you have to change.
Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
G11 it is then

So really there on no benefits of going to g12 after the flush. g11 is readily available and I have some, so I'm gonna stick with that.

thanks for the input.

:panic:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts