VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am very intrigued by the VW TDI world and am in the process of researching for a Jetta at this time. I found a 2003 VW Jetta TDI with 90K mi on it for pretty cheap. Yet it has some damage to it. I am told the the timing belt broke on the and now they have a valve issue. Possible piston valve contact I am guessing. I am told the vehicle still runs and drives, but after a long drive will start to have white smoke ( possible fuel or oil burning). Possibly only running off 3 cyclinders or lack of power in 1 cyclinder. I own a Ford Diesel truck and have a decent amount of knowledge about diesel engines, but the smaller TDI is a new engine for me. I am asking if you knowledgable TDI owners could help me with possible extent of the issue, and how much money and time would i expect to put into the engine fix. I know due to not owning the vehicle or knowing exactly what is going on it could be hard to diagnose. I have no idea if this is a common problem or how hard it would be to fix myself. Thank you for any information and sooner or later ill be on the forum talking TDI with everyone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
prepare for a head rebuild. and hope the valve doesnt drop into the cylinder if there was piston valve interferance

do not drive the car, tow it wither to car doc automotive and ask for brian johnston to work on it (one of the best TDI mechs in the COUNTRY) or if you are extra handy and are ok with a STEEEEEP learning curve, you can do it yourself.

pull the head and send it off to Franko6 in Lockwood MO (he is on this site) for he is the best in the country at making these TDI heads like new. he can then send it back to you with all of the parts, bolts, gaskets, timing belt kit you need to put it together properly.

you will also need to either buy or borrow the special engine lockdown tools to pt the timing system back together properly.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Most likely you will need a new or rebuilt head. Contact Franko6 in the members list at the top for some prices, he is the local TDI head expert. Take a look through the FAQ section on how to pull the head. These are interference engines.

90k miles is nothing for a 2003 so if the rest of the car is in good shape it could be a good car. If it's junk then pass because there are plenty of 2003 models out there which could run as-is.

Good tip Growler, here is Car doc's website: http://www.cardocautomotive.com/ he is a well known TDI expert.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts