VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Future Passat TDI?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Sipper 
#1 ·
Do they plan on putting the CRD engine into a Passat?

#2 ·
I doubt it for the same reason they aren't bringing the 170hp TDI engine - emissions, the cost of certifying the engine, and the need to go to a wet urea system if you put that engine into a significantly heavier car.

It would make sense to bring the 170hp engine and put it into the Audi A3, a Golf GTD, and Passat TDI. Make those cars something special above the Jetta/Golf TDI. Although the Audi A4 would need modification to be a longitudinal engine instead of the transverse engines in the above cars, that also opens up the possibility of a 4 cylinder Audi A4 TDI or Audi TT TDI.

However, that makes too much sense and they probably don't think they can make the numbers work.

#3 ·
I've seen some commercials on TV for the Jetta clean diesel, the Jetta has been a great seller, and autoblog said 80% of sportwagens, 80 friggin percent were TDI. They have something good here but don't want to cash in. I think they are planning to expand so maybe a CRD Passat in another year? Maybe 2 years?

#5 ·
Sorry if this is a dumb question but if they already did the engineering work to make the engine, what extra certifying costs are there?
From what I've read, each engine has to be thoroughly tested to be sold. They should really just use this CRD engine in more models. Wow, 80% is a real statement of what the people want....isn't that one of their commercial's taglines?

#9 ·
The problem is that the Passat and Jetta are getting close in size and features. People walking into an Audi dealership go out with a Passat, those shopping for a Passat walk out with a Jetta. It comes down to dollars and cents.
The point is that a Passat is still a lot cheaper than an Audi. And they're not based on the same car anymore so it's not really a fair comparison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.