VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

Nice website with lots of good info. Another newby here!

The wife and I are out shopping new cars and the Golf TDI is top on the list. Like the styling, fit & finish, rides wonderfully and is clearly above all the Civics, Mazdas, Fords.... etc. in overall quality.

A diesel will be now technology for me, know my way around a gas engine, but the TDI is a more complicated engine/transmission combination (we are going with the DSG).

Notice that the TDI seems to require a bit more "care and feeding" - such as specific oil, more frequent trans fluid changes and so on. Not quite sure if this is a measurable increase in maintanence, but would be interesting to know how that really works out in the long term. My wife will be the primary driver, so the reliability issue is important. Understand that theortically the diesel should go for many more miles than a gas engine, does get more miles per gallon (although around here (SE PA) diesel sells for a $0.30 premium over gasoline) so I'm wondering if the diesel advantage is outweighed by the increased routine maintanence.

Since we are in a model year change, the number of 2011 models is decreasing, while the new 2012 models are still a bit short in inventory. Does anyone know if the 2012 models have seen a price increase for the base model over the 2011? Seems not, but VW seems to be handling options on a "package" basis now. Makes the negotiation a bit more difficult with two model years out there.

Should be an interesting time, haven't had to buy a new car for a number of years, so I need to relearn all those car buying strategies. :D

Gary

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There are some reliability issues but IMHO, I would still like one. If you're going to get a TDI, I would seriously consider the new Passat too. Wait a few months and get a bigger car for about the same price. However, the Golf chassis may be even higher in refinement. The current Passat was designed for the US market to be big and cheap but it does deliver, and with even better highway mpg!

The are some small quirks. A few people have hesitation issues and the DSG does feel different than a traditional auto. A few people have had fuel leaks and a few people have had high pressure fuel pump failures. IMHO, it's a design and fuel quality issue but nobody really knows the real causes because VW is denying a problem exists. Most of the time failures have been covered under warranty, a few times, not.

In the end, I'm sure you'll find failure areas on the other cars you're looking at if you dig deep enough. The HPFP issue is only hitting a few people but when it does, it's a big hit since it wrecks the state of the art fuel system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do you lay down$25,000 when?

Your warranty could be voided &$9600-$11,000 repair bill on a new car . I know my wife don't mind she says I am overthinking it.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts