VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it's possible to test a fuel temp sensor? It's the little one like in the ALH injector pump. Mine is gone again, I replaced it about a year ago maybe a bit less but I thought it would last longer unless of course I managed to pick up a duffer. I've checked the wiring to the pump and around the engine bay and all looks well.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's a resistor. I don't know the values it would give but if you test it against a good one, it'll be obvious. Careful because in my case, a bad temp sensor was caused by a short in the wire harness.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Yes the fuel temperature sensor is just a thermistor a resistor that varies with temperature.
Now I've just had a look in Autodata but it only says its on top of the IP no values. I've just looked at a Golf/Golf Estate (91-98) 1,9D TDI 1996-98 Engine code: AFN and it shows, Temp.jpg

It shows the same picture and values on a Golf Cabrio (93-03) 1,9D TDI 1999-03 Engine code: AVG

Temp2.jpg
Golf/Golf Estate (98-06) 1,9D TDI PD 1998-03 Engine code: AJM

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh I remember you telling me about that chitty so I did check all the wiring and it all seems to be in good order.:)

Thanks Keith, I'll test the little bugger when I get it out, I might just have got a bit of a duufer, old stock or something but I'll check all the same.:)

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
I've added the other pic now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes the fuel temperature sensor is just a thermistor a resistor that varies with temperature.
Now I've just had a look in Autodata but it only says its on top of the IP no values. I've just looked at a Golf/Golf Estate (91-98) 1,9D TDI 1996-98 Engine code: AFN and it shows, Temp.jpg

It shows the same picture and values on a Golf Cabrio (93-03) 1,9D TDI 1999-03 Engine code: AVG

Temp2.jpg
Golf/Golf Estate (98-06) 1,9D TDI PD 1998-03 Engine code: AJM
Please do you have those resistance values also for the coolant temp sensor? I got the AJM engine 85kW TDI PD engine. My temp sensor is green but with one oval end. I need the values for the newer 058919501C and the older green square 058919501. I´ve got 3 of those oval ones, ELTH, EPS and FACET and 4 square types, EPS, ELTH and FACET also. None of those shows really the same values. The ELTH green square has at 4°C aprox. 550ohms more resistance than the other brands. When in fridge, the resistance difference is even larger. I suspect this to be a problem of my engine, since I got the EPS one in my car and it starts hard in winter. Thx!

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Please do you have those resistance values also for the coolant temp sensor? I got the AJM engine 85kW TDI PD engine. My temp sensor is green but with one oval end.
Well the coolant temperature sensor values for Passat (96-00) 1,9D TDI PD 1998-00 Engine code: AJM are shown in the attachment. These are the same values for the square type sensor.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts